I've been offered a part time job. Will I still be able to claim ESA Support Group? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been offered a part time job. Will I still be able to claim ESA Support Group?

advice33
advice33 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I receive ESA I'm also in the support group and also get severe disabilitie premium

Anyway I've been offered a job 15 hours a week delivering food as and when I feel up to it 

My question is will I still be able to claim ESA and still be in the support group?
Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hi @advice33

Thank you for contacting us. According to the Government (https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/working-while-you-claim), you can usually claim ESA if you work less than 16 hours a week and you do not earn more than £143 a week. However, you will need to tell Jobcentre Plus that you wish to start work by sending them a form. You can find the form at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form. Unfortunately, I am not aware of the eligibility criteria of your support group as it will likely vary between support groups. If you want to find out the eligibility criteria for your support group, you will need to contact the people who lead or fund the support group and ask them. I hope this helps! If you have any follow-up questions or require anything to be clarified, please do not hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • advice33
    I receive the support group component that is what I meant
  • advice33
    The job isn't through the dwp or anything I just applied im on ESA and in the support group so go to no work focused interviews
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    @L_Volunteer

The support group relates to the op esa claim as in found not required to work like lcwra in uc 

As you state a person in support group is able to work io to 16 hours a week 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hi @advice33

Thank you for clarifying what you mean by the support group. This extra information is really helpful in understanding your situation and will hopefully mean we can support you the best we can! According to the Government (https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/what-youll-get), if you are able to get back into work in the future, you will be put into the work-related activity group rather than the support group. I hope this helps  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • L_Volunteer
    Thanks @janer1967 for also helping to explain. In summary, the Government says that you can receive ESA if you work less than 16 hours a week and do not earn more than £143 a week. However, you will need to inform Jobcentre Plus by completing the form at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form. Unfortunately though, if you are able to get back into work in the future, the Government says you will be put into the work-related activity group rather than the support group. I hope this helps  :) 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    My understanding is you should remain in support group unless you are reassessed and a new decision is made 

Returning to work could prompt a reassessment if they think the work contradicts the reason you are in support group 

The best person to advise here would be @poppy123456 can you please clarify for op 
  • L_Volunteer
    edited September 2021
    Absolutely. I will be honest, I do not know from a personal level as I have never received ESA or gone through the process. I just know that is what the Government states at https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/what-youll-get. However, if any of you has more insight, please do help one another! I love to see the support you provide to each other  :)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For permitted work as the link states, you must make sure you work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £143 per week.
    You need to tell DWP you’re working and will will need to fill out a form. 
    As Janer says, do be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons you’re in the support group it could go against you when you’re next reviewed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • advice33
    Thanks to all really appreciate this

I'm still ever so slightly confused....

So I start the job 15 hours tell dwp

Do I immediately go into the work focused group?

Or would that decision be made as and when I'm reviewed
    Thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, you tell DWP that you intend to start working. You would stay in the Support Group until a new decision says otherwise. 
    You must make sure that you work less than 16 hours and earn no more than £143 per week. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • advice33
    Perfect poppy and very clear thanks and thanks too all 

I shall take this step forward and hope for best 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • L_Volunteer
    Good luck @advice33. Thanks to all, especially @poppy123456, for helping to clarify things further!  :) I feel that was great teamwork. If you have any more questions, please feel free to let us know

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.