Text Regarding PIP claim & Being Deaf. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Text Regarding PIP claim & Being Deaf.

RandyHuggins75
RandyHuggins75 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi All,

I'm hoping that I'd be able to get some advice...

Two days ago I received a text from Independent Assessment Services stating that a telephone consultation has been booked for Tuesday 28th Sept at 9am.

I have two concerns regarding this, firstly, I'm profoundly deaf so am unable to do this assessment over the phone & I also do not have anyone available to help me with this.
Secondly, I had a full re-assessment carried out earlier this year, with my PIP being re-awarded until March 2024. (Forms filled out with evidence provided)

I suffer with anxiety & this is compounding it big time. The text provides a phone number but being deaf this is useless. 

I normally have a benefits advisor at my local Citizens Advice but since Covid hit she has been near impossible to get hold of & the offices closed as a result.

I've been in receipt of PIP since early 2018 (& DLA for many years before that)

Is it normal for this to happen?

Thanks in advance,

Keith.

Comments

• RandyHuggins75
    Almost forgot to attach the text I received!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

It maybe an error but DWP can still review your claim at anytime. Independent Assessment Services have a text relay Service. See link. https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/contact-us/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RandyHuggins75
    HI,

It maybe an error but DWP can still review your claim at anytime. Independent Assessment Services have a text relay Service. See link. https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/contact-us/

Thank you for the info but I'm unable to do video chat as I went through this last time I had a review, I do not do sign language (I'm a lip reader) I can't afford to get a web cam & I have found the text relay service an absolute nightmare to use & have never managed to have a successful interaction through it!

This is why my anxiety is skyrocketing!

Keith.
  • APickle
    APickle Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Hi Keith, have you emailed them your concerns? I wonder if there is a chat function available for the whole process, or if you could borrow a webcam? Teams, Zoom and other services have a chat function- not sure what the assessment services use.

Not sure if you've already considered this, but Amazon do surprisingly good budget webcams for under £10 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microphone-Streaming-Desktop-Windows-Conferencing/dp/B08M9P2VPC/  

Good luck for next week x
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure lip reading would work via webcam, there's too much delay and distortion.  Though for a tenner it might be worth a try.

I still feel like this must be discrimination.  There's no real reason that they can't use a chat service.  I know they'll say it's for security but realistically, anyone can be on the end of a phone anyway, they don't have everyone's voice on database lol.  This is the same issue I have with both benefits & medical services but I'm yet to find a suitable workaround.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    So has no-one mentioned you can make a video call but simply not use the video and then use the text chat which appears once you're on the call?
    Not to me, no.  (Not my thread btw.)  I asked if this was possible for a medical service last week and told no, I'd have to speak to them.  If PIP will all allow the chat to be used that would be suitable for me though.  I suppose the next question is how does someone request a video call for this purpose when the OP has been put in for a normal telephone call?  PIP don't have an email or live chat contact.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    So has no-one mentioned you can make a video call but simply not use the video and then use the text chat which appears once you're on the call?
    Not to me, no.  (Not my thread btw.)  I asked if this was possible for a medical service last week and told no, I'd have to speak to them.  If PIP will all allow the chat to be used that would be suitable for me though.  I suppose the next question is how does someone request a video call for this purpose when the OP has been put in for a normal telephone call?  PIP don't have an email or live chat contact.

You don't ring PIP regarding assessments, you contact the health assessment providers because it's their repsonsibility to arrange those. Which will be either Independant Assessment Services or Captia depending on your area.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.