Claim PIP + UC, but think I may be entitled to more. I'd like to get my own flat, but not sure how? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claim PIP + UC, but think I may be entitled to more. I'd like to get my own flat, but not sure how?

Options
nandbkieren
nandbkieren Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hey guys,

I need your help here. I currently get PIP but I get 240 a month and that is meant to be the 'higher rate' but it clearly isn't because I have heard that is up to 150 a week. I have been told by Citizens Advice that I would need to get reassessed to get the higher rate but I don't know how long that would take. At the same time I get UC and work but I am not entitled to anything else. I want to get my own flat but I have no idea about how to get any extra support or what I would be due. I've tried to work this out but i've come up with nothing and hit a bit of a dead end. Any help would be appreciated. My dream is to live independantly as a man with CP but I would need extra home help anyway.

Kieren

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your PIP amount tells me that you're receiving the standard daily living rate. Enhanced daily living is £89.60 per week, £358.40 every 4 weeks. Before you report any worsening of condition you need make 100% certain that you do qualify for the Enhanced daily living. There's huge backlogs at the moment and it could take up to 10 months.
    If you lived by yourself then your UC would include help with the rent, this is called housing element. as well as the standard allowance.  How much housing element you would be entitled to would depend on where in the country you lived. If you privately rented then you would be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance. You can check the rates of different areas here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ (this is assuming you're single with no dependant children.
    How much UC you would be entitled to in total will depend on how much earnings you receive during your assessment period. If you don't have the work allowance then your earnings will reduce your UC by 63%. You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=4fa80ce1-cafd-4781-977d-cfa7d83e0dea
    You can do some google searches for the areas you would like to live to see if there's anything available. However, it's not easy to find any landlords that accept those claiming benefits.
    For social/council housing it's even more difficult especially if you're single with no dependant children but there's no harm in putting your name on the list in your local area.
    Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    nandbkieren said:.. I get 240 a month and that is meant to be the 'higher rate' ..
    What do you mean by ‘meant’ to be the higher rate? Is that just your opinion of what you should get?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Surely your decision letter tells you exactly what your meant to be getting. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.