When should my LCWRA be backdated to? The same time as PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When should my LCWRA be backdated to? The same time as PIP?

social1709
social1709 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Having taken 25 months to receive pip I was awarded it through the courts and tribunals . This was backdated. I then began receiving Limited capability for work and work-related activity. Should this be backdated to the same time. Just trying to understand it.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Your lcwrs is paid from the 4th full assessment periods after you reported the medical condition supported by fit note 

So it depends when you reported the condition 

It has nothing to do with pip award 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hi @social1709

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see that you have joined us. It sounds like you have had a lot to deal with recently, bless you. I hope we can support you now that you have reached out to us though. Well done for making the first step in contacting us, I know that can take courage. According to Entitled To (https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Long-term-health-condition-or-disability-Universal-Credit), "if it takes longer than 3 months to carry out your Work Capability Assessment [beginning on the day you provided medical evidence] the element you are awarded will be backdated to this point and you will be paid any amount owing". I hope this information helps! However, if you have any additional questions or anything else we can support you with, please do not hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

We will need more information to be able to help you further. If this was your first work capability assessment we'll need to know what date exactly you reported your health condition.
    What's the dates of your assessment periods... or what date of the month do you normally receive your UC payment?
    Did you continue to send in fit notes without any gaps?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • social1709
    My  condition  was reported over 25 months ago. As a result I did not have to send in a fit note. There was a disruption when my mobility deteriorated and was told to inform UC as a change in circumstances which triggered me to have to send in fit notes for about 3 months. So much stress when the doctor kept informing me that I didn't need fit notes. It has now reverted back to not needing to supply fit notes.

• poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    I don't understand why you didn't have to send in fit notes. When you report a health condition, you have 7 days to produce the fit note. Have you previously had a work capability assessment and been assessed as having LCW rather than LCWRA because you mention reporting a change of circumstances 3 months ago.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • social1709

This has been taken from Doc UCD82 Work capability assessment decision on 19 August 2019  We'll send a letter to your doctor telling them the outcome of You don't have to send us any more statements of fitness for work (sometimes called sick notes or fit notes) from your doctor. I have only recently received Limited capability for work and work related activity payments when the court supported my PIP on 12th Aug this year. Am I getting mixed up as I cannot understand it. When my health deterited I rang UC and they said I had to report it. When I did what they asked I was requested to start submitting fit notes until a decision was made.. This gives me £343.63/month but most is lost as I now have a works injury pension from my accident of which comes off my entitlement.  hope this helps.

• poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    I'm assuming the previous decision of your work capability assessment dated 19th August 2019 was limited capability for work (LCW) this would have meant you woudln't have received any extra money at that time.
    Fast forward to 3 months ago you reported a worsening of condition onto your UC journal so you won't receive backdated money as far back as 25 months. Your recent LCWRA decision will start from when you reported your worsening of condition 3 months ago.
    What i'm unsure about is whether your LCWRA money will be backdated for 3 months or whether there will be a 3 month waiting period.
    Hopefully someone will see this and will be able to help you further. What i do know is that your PIP award is totally seperate to your LCWRA award.
  • social1709

Health change

Effective from: 5 January 2021

********  has a health condition that restricts their ability to work or look for work.

This was when I first reported my health Change. Several months later when they informed me I no longer had to provide fit notes.

• poppy123456
    Yes, that was when you reported a change in your health condition. As advised, you won't receive backdated money for the whole 25 months as the thread title suggests. This is because you previously were awarded LCW in August 2019.
    I'm unsure whether the 3 month waiting period applies here or whether the LCWRA starts from when you reported the change of health condition. I'll tag a member of our admin team who will hopefully see this and be able to advise further. @Adrian_Scope can you help here please.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    social1709 said:..I have only recently received Limited capability for work and work related activity payments when the court supported my PIP on 12th Aug this year. 
    You are mixing up two different things. The PIP decision has nothing to do with a UC decision on LCW or LCWRA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.