Changes to my UC because my son has left school and is working — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changes to my UC because my son has left school and is working

MadeInTheUK
MadeInTheUK Community member Posts: 20 Connected
 currently receive UC which includes Disability living allowance as well as housing benefit, I rent privately so I am about £400 short of my rent. I also get PIP at standard rate for both mobility and daily living. My son who is 19 has just recently started working full time and I am concerned about this affecting my housing benefit and council tax. I understand that he is now classed as a non- dependent and his wages will reduce my housing benefit according to how much he earns. I have also read that he will be exempt from contributing if I receive Standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of PIP, which I do. Can anyone clarify this for me? I’ve just lost maintenance from his dad when he turned 18, lost the child allowance of UC as well as child benefit so I’m already down about £1000 a month. If they deduct from my housing benefit and council tax because he’s working I am literally going to be on the floor. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    DLA and Housing benefit are completely different benefits to UC. I am assuming that you mean your UC includes the LCWRA element and the housing element.

Although he is a non dependant there are no non-dependant deductions in UC for anyone under 21. Even when he reaches 21 there will be no non-dependant deductions because, as you say, you get Daily Living PIP.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/legal/benefits/universal_credit/universal_credit_deductions_for_non-dependants_and_debt#title-0

For CTR the situation will depend on the rules of your particular local authority scheme.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MadeInTheUK
    Sorry what is CTR (Council tax reduction?) and LCWRA?

under the umbrella of universal credit, I get one payment a month which includes my standard amount, housing benefit and Disability. PIP is paid separately. I had to apply for housing benefit and council tax separately through my local council, but it is all lumped together in the universal credit statement. 
  • MadeInTheUK
    https://www.oxford.gov.uk/info/20176/benefits_information/389/other_people_living_with_you_affecting_your_benefit_claim

I’m finding differing information and the table set out in this link for weekly gross payments of non-dependents towards housing benefit is something I’ve found on several different sites. Thankfully they all say that nothing will be deducted because I’m in receipt of the daily living allowance from PIP. But it’s confusing ?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    CTR is as you said is Council tax reduction. It isn't part of UC and is paid by your local authority.  Your rent isn't paid by your local Authority as housing benefit. It's paid by DWP as housing element and makes up part of your maximum UC entitlement.
    LCWRA (£343.63 per month) element is awarded to those that have been through the work capability assessment because they have a limited capability for work. Details here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition-quick-guide/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition
    Disability living allowance isn't part of UC it's a disability benefit for children under 16 and is a simialar benefit to PIP. Do you have a child that claims DLA?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    edited September 2021
    MadeInTheUK said:..under the umbrella of universal credit, I get one payment a month which includes my standard amount, housing benefit and Disability. ... I had to apply for housing benefit and council tax separately through my local council, but it is all lumped together in the universal credit statement. 
    This cannot be correct.
    Either you receive the housing element of UC in which case you applied for help with rent as part of the UC claim or you live in a type of accommodation which entitles you to Housing Benefit in which case you applied to your local authority for it and it is paid separately.

CTR is separate and will not appear as part of a UC award.

It seems more likely that you have the housing element of UC in which case the non dependant rules for Housing Benefit are irrelevant as they are different.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MadeInTheUK
    ah right ok, thank you. Yes I get LCWRA and not disability living allowance, you’ll have to excuse me I’m new to this group and to the acronyms x
  • MadeInTheUK
    I live in a private rented house. When I applied for universal credit I was told that I had to apply for housing benefit to my local council, which I did. They sent me details of my housing benefit award and if I need to apply for discretionary housing benefit etc then I need to contact them. However the payment comes in the UC payment and is listed in my UC statement each month. 

calcotti said:
    MadeInTheUK said:..under the umbrella of universal credit, I get one payment a month which includes my standard amount, housing benefit and Disability. ... I had to apply for housing benefit and council tax separately through my local council, but it is all lumped together in the universal credit statement. 
    This cannot be correct.
    Either you receive the housing element of UC in which case you applied for help with rent as part of the UC claim or you live in a type of accommodation which entitles you to Housing Benefit in which case you applied to your local authority for it and it is paid separately.

CTR is separate and will not appear as part of a UC award.

It seems more likely that you have the housing element of UC in which case the non dependant rules for Housing Benefit are irrelevant as they are different.

• MadeInTheUK
    This is what it looks like. I really don’t know what comes from where, just that I had to apply online with my local council for housing benefit and then it just appeared in my universal credit. 
  • calcotti
    For a private rental you would need to get help with rent through UC and I cannot understand why, or even how, this could have been set up through your local authority. Ithe payment is shown in your UC statement as housing element then it is a UC payment and not Housing Benefit. 

Regardless, in your case, because of the PIP there will be no non-dependant deductions regardless of whether it is UC or HB.
  • MadeInTheUK
    Could it have been because I was transitioning over to universal credit? But yes anyway the main point is that thank God I won’t have to lose any of it!  Thanks for your help! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    Could it have been because I was transitioning over to universal credit?
    No, when you claim UC your housing benefit conitnues for 2 weeks and then transfers to UC. Unless you live either supported, sheltered or temporary housing then housing benefit continues (from your local Authority)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MadeInTheUK :) Just to let you know, I've removed your other thread as it appeared to be asking the same question. I'm glad that you've been able to get some reassuring advice above! Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • MadeInTheUK

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.