Awarded standard rate for both components in 2019. My mobility has become worse. Should I tell them? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded standard rate for both components in 2019. My mobility has become worse. Should I tell them?

MadeInTheUK
MadeInTheUK Community member Posts: 20 Connected
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
When I applied for PIP in 2019 my condition was due to Cauda equina syndrome and I was awarded the standard rate for both parts. Over the past 10 years or so whenever I have an MRI, arthritis has showed  up in my right hip, however recently the pain in my hip has become unbearable, iand in my recent MRI it showed that I had severe bilateral osteoarthritis. This has reduced my mobility further and I was wondering if I should inform PIP and how to go about this. Any advice would be most gratefully received. 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,611 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you'll see posted all over this forum, PIP isn't about a diagnosis but your ability to carry out specific tasks. 

The first question you need to ask yourself is whether you can still regularly & reliably walk more than 20 metres.  If you can, you'll still only be eligible for the standard rate of Mobility. It's only worth notifying PIP if the changes will allow you to score enough extra points in the descriptors to reach the higher award.  So check how many points you scored last time and then have a look through the descriptors to see if you'll score any extras with your current situation.  If you believe you will score enough points for the enhanced award then you can start the 'change of circumstances' process by telephone.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Agree with l above would urge you to get expert advice before doing anything as you will prompt a new assessment process by reporting a change in conditions 

This could lead to a different decision which could go either for or against your current award 

Speak to welfare rights 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Agree with the above, & you don't have to tell the DWP about any change. You might consider how much longer does your current award run, &, if you feel you could get sufficient points for an enhanced award, then financially it may make sense to put in for a change of circumstances if your current award is for a long period. Everyone's circumstances will be different, so it would be advisable to get some local advice (Welfare Rights office or Citizens Advice). Search here: https://advicelocal.uk
  • MadeInTheUK
    MadeInTheUK Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Thank you ladies. I’ll dig out the old paperwork and go from there. My mobility is significantly reduced and I think I have another 2 years on my current award but I’ll definitely get some expert advice before I do anything x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.