Looking to mutually exchange my house. Will I have to reapply for HB, ESA, and PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking to mutually exchange my house. Will I have to reapply for HB, ESA, and PIP?

kazzikins
kazzikins Community member Posts: 4 Connected
Hi I am looking to mutually exchange my HA house in England for one in Wales. My question is wil I have to reapply for HB, Esa and Pip when I move or do I do change of circumstances with DWP? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Your PIP is not affected.

Because you will be moving to a different local authority your Housing Benefit will end and you will not be permitted to make a new claim to your new local authority. If you want help with rent you will need to apply for UC. If you apply for UC this will end income based ESA. Any contribution based ESA will continue - but will be deducted from your UC payments.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kazzikins
    Thank you. So it may not be worth me moving then
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    That wasn’t the advice. Not everyone is worse off when they claim UC. 
    Your ESA award will transfer to UC so if you’re in the Support Group you will receive the LCWRA element in with your maximum UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kazzikins
    Oh OK thanks. You hear so many horror stories about UC. My older waited 9 weeks after he lost his job and was in rent arrears. Thank you for the advice, I need to move for my health
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    kazzikins said:
    Thank you. So it may not be worth me moving then
    That is definitely not what I said, but is for you to decide. If your UC includes a Severe Disability Premium then you will likely be a little worse off on UC, if it doesn’t you will likely be a bit better off. However these are generalisations and the reality depends on your circumstances. I am sure your wish to move is motivated by factors other then finances so while it is important to take these into account they may not be the overriding consideration.

You could ask an advice agency to do a comparison of your existing benefits with your UC entitlement (or try an online benefits calculator but it’s important that you understand it if you are to have confidence in the results).

Incidentally you will need to make a new Council Tax Reduction to the be local authority if you move.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    kazzikins said:
    Oh OK thanks. You hear so many horror stories about UC. My older waited 9 weeks after he lost his job and was in rent arrears. Thank you for the advice, I need to move for my health

If he claimed UC before he received his final earnings then this will be why he waited so long. UC is based on earnings received during your monthly assessment period. When you calim UC after losing your job you should always wait and claim once you receive those final earnings. A lot of people make this mistake which is easy to do when you don't fully understand it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kazzikins
    Thank you for your advice it is really helpful and I will be taking advice also from CAB

Brightness