Anyone faced difficulties with application for council tax disability reduction? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone faced difficulties with application for council tax disability reduction?

Ash1972
Ash1972 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I was wondering if anyone faced difficulties with their application for  council disability reduction. After months of trying, i received a telephone call to discuss the application so they could make a decision, this was 2weeks ago. My council tax payment does not appear to have changed, or reduced, as the full amount continues to be taken out of my account. 
This is so exhausting to get any movement fwd with the council.
Thxs 
P

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ash1972

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are worried you have been charged for the full amount of council tax even though you discussed your disability reduction application two weeks ago with your council and the lengthy process has been frustrating for you. It sounds like it can unfortunately take two months to hear back the outcome of the review. For more information, please see https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/help-with-council-tax-reduction-discount/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9yJBhDTARIsABKIcGZrOWLlYM8_vq1kITYnrSbR0w2-5sMqnljvIp96wzctLvBgDPJt6HsaAnTXEALw_wcB
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello - I applied for a disability reduction and it took a couple of months and a lot of emails to sort out. My local authority kept wanting pictures of the room for the purposes of the discount . I was bemused as to why especially as it was without furniture whilst I was renovating. Another email again explaining why I needed the discount eventually sorted it out although my local authority would not back date because the bungalow had to undergo renovations - it made no sense to me . Hopefully you will hear soon 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    I applied for a council tax reduction some time ago and it took about 4 months to sort out. I also found out that this money could be backdated to when I met the criteria. Great I though thats 17 years what will I spend the money on? I was later informed that it could be only backdated 6 years and that the momey they owed me would be deducted from my current council tax bill. What a disappointment  I had the money spend twice over in my head. However I still dont understand how the council can pay back money owed to residents who were put in the wrong council tax band for more than 6 years and not me. It annoys me so much!
  • Elysium
    Elysium Scope Member Posts: 98 Pioneering
    You can apply direct to the Valuation office 
    They/them, Autistic, Vegan, Pan/Demi, Teacher, Antiracist, Artist
  • Alexander13
    Alexander13 Community member Posts: 55 Connected
    4 months for me
  • ProudMumForever
    ProudMumForever Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Awaiting a decision , i applied 5 weeks ago so by the sounds of it ive got a long wait ahead . 
  • Alexander13
    Alexander13 Community member Posts: 55 Connected
    Backdate it though :)

Brightness