Unsuitable Housing for autistic kid — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unsuitable Housing for autistic kid

Options
nk2016
nk2016 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, we 2 adults and 3 kids living in a 2 bed 1st floor council flat since june 2020. My 7 year okd son has autism hyper mobility and other special needs. He is sharing a room with brother and sister. We have a communal terrace wid v low boundry wall he climbed it twice luckily i saved him from falling down. We have a balcony on high street he threw thing from there police came they write in their report its unsuitable place for any kids specialy one wid special needs. He always try to climb balcony and terrace wall.so he is not allowed to go on terrace or to open windows or doors.it giving him too much stress everyday his tauntrums got worst on top of dat bcax of high street and flat above noise he get scared and cant sleep. He starts hitting siblings complaining headaches hurting himself and sibling having mental health issues. Asks for quiet times his own space. Gp, physio, pediatrics autism hub all gave letters to move us to suitable property bt council is not listening gp sent local authority OT for housing assessmenet she gave a report stating family needs urgent rehousing as its very unsuitable. I sent the report to council but honestly i dont have any good hopes as council is well aware of these problems from 1st day. Its been ine year and 3 months my kid is suffering so much he starts soiling himself always unhappy and anxious. Can you please help me as my kid is always at risk he can have bad accident he can hurt siblings or himself he keeps doing it he dont have any place to play or move around freely he jumps on sofas, beds keep having falls and injuries. Many thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @nk2016 sorry to read about your housing problem, welcome to scope, I suppose I have to ask the question why if its so unsuitable did you accept the property only 14 months ago? Don't get me wrong i'm not having a go just wondering?

I suppose the biggest problem facing the council is a massive shortage of properties and ever lengthening waiting list.

Have you considered renting privately?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• nk2016
    Options
    Thanx for ur reply, the place i uaed to live had worst mould and damp and my 2 kids have asthma they were ill all the times so i prefer to move and we were so happy i had no idea this will happen as i never faced this type of situation. Sorry i cant rent bcax my son dont accept changes and i cant afford honestly.
  • idontlikeliving
    idontlikeliving Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
    Options
    If your son don’t accept changes how will he manage if you manage to get a council house? You need to get all his medical together and go see your local council. Most likely you will be put on a list because, unfortunately not enough houses and too many people.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I still don't understand why you accepted the flat you're in now because there's 5 of you all in a 2 bedroom flat. Ideally you need a 3 bedroom property.
    You say your son doesn't like changes but you're asking for help with moving house. I totaly understand that Autisic people don't like change because my daughter has Autism but they do adapt to those changes eventually, especially when moving house.
    Do you have your name dow on the social housing list? Have you thought about approaching your local councillor or local MP? This maybe a start.
    Do you claim for help with your rent? If you do, have you looked at how much you'll be entitled to if you privately rented? You can check how much local housing allowance you're entitled to here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/
    If you don't know how many bedrooms you're entitled to you can check that here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/bedroomcalculator.aspx
    If you're claiming benefits it's not going to be easy finding a landlord that will accept those claiming benefits but having a look in and around your local area will be a start.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nk2016 :) I'm sorry to hear about your current housing situation. I appreciate that that this is causing much of the difficulties you and your son are facing at the moment, but I also wanted to ask whether he was receiving enough support generally? You've mentioned a GP and paediatric autism hub- are they aware of the situation? I'm a little concerned to read that he seems unhappy and anxious, and that he's been hurting himself. Are your other children receiving support for their mental health?

It sounds as though you've got a lot on your plate, so well done for persevering with this housing issue. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • nk2016
    Options
    Thanx for all ur kind concerns. Yes we supposed to be offered 3 bed house bt they offered us 2 bed flat and honestly i even found it a blessing as i told earlier we had v v bad mould and damp in old place my 2 kids has asthma dey were always ill and den covid started so i was happy to move out and told you i had no idea things will turn out like dis. Changes i was talking about private renting has more chances to move houses it will be very hard for him. It took him a year to settle down in his new school with full support been in place. He would have been settled in home by now if he dont face all these problems everyday and got his own space to play and sleep. And honestly you have no idea its impossible to find and afford a private house.
    Yes gp and other professionals are fully aware of the situation and trying to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @nk2016. I understand what you mean regarding private renting and change, as it's in many ways less secure there is the risk of moving more often which isn't ideal in your situation (plus as you say, private rentals can be really difficult to find, especially if any of your income is made up from benefits).

From your original post I can't tell whether you are back on the waiting list to be moved, is this the case or are the council refusing?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • nk2016
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi adrian, im bidding on waiting list bt they did not consider my son,s needs. No priority at all. Even i submitted OT,s housing assessment report she adivised to move us immediately as it doesnt meet wid my son,s needs and very unsuitable for him. I submitted it on 29 aug but no reply. Can you plz help me. Thanks.

Brightness