Hold shared ownership scheme — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hold shared ownership scheme

Options
hans
hans Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Anyone know how this scheme works and is there a maximum amount when looking to purchase a property thanks Hans

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @hans and welcome to the community, how are you? 

I don't know much about the scheme myself, however I found the below information over on the Scope website, however it doesn't mention any maximum amounts:

HOLD is not a separate product but is a route into shared ownership. It’s available in England only. You can only apply for the HOLD scheme if other shared ownership schemes do not suit your needs. You can apply for affordable home ownership through your local Help to Buy agent (LHBA).

Find your local Help to Buy agent

You must meet the agency’s general eligibility criteria:

• You will need to be a first-time buyer or be defined as being in housing need.
    • Your household income is £80,000 a year or less outside of London or £90,000 a year or less in London.
    • You must not have any outstanding credit issues, such as County Court judgements.

There are only a few lenders offering mortgages for this scheme.

My Safe Home has an easy read guide about shared ownership for disabled people.

You can visit the page here for further information about getting a mortgage.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options
    My daughter wanted to do it and then for me and my wife to move in so we had a place that would me to feel safer. What i mean is, to have a downstairs toilet put in as our property was not suitable. My daughter wanted to do this to get on the property ladder and to also provide me with a safe place to live, but it was a nightmare.

You may have better luck as it depends where you live. But our experience was, soe mortgage brokers were not interested in helping to find a mortgage for this type of scheme and instead wanted to go for a full mortgage. The other problem we had was, the housing assocation wanted everything done in ten days.

From first applying, they wanted all the paperwork filled in, and there was a lot. And as well as the paperwork they wanted a mortgage in princple letter sent to them.

It was a lot of work. We have decided to wait for a few reasons. I still want my daughter to get on the property ladder, but we have now been given support to get a downstairs toilet which will change my life.

Brightness