Pip claim in july. I've been so anxious about whether I will get it or not. What are my chances? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip claim in july. I've been so anxious about whether I will get it or not. What are my chances?

maria89
maria89 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello,

I have BPD, history of bulimia and suffer with dyspraxia, anxiety and depression. I also recently had a diagnosis of ADHD. I applied for PIP on July 7th, and have been so anxious about whether I will get it or not. I got into debt as a result of my mental health deteriorating, I had to wait a year to see a pyschiatrist or have an adhd appointment. I only got my diagnosis for adhd this week. They have been trying to figure out if I have bipolar or bpd or both, they have decided it’s mainly EUPD with possible cyclothymia. I work full time which is so hard. I get lost all the time. My moods fluctuate so much and it took me hours to put together my claim. I can’t follow directions, can’t remember things, memory and concentration is poor and I’m worried I won’t get anything. I had my EUPD diagnosis in 2015 and have been told to go on quetapine with my fluoxetine and then trial ADHD meds from October. What do you think my chances are? Any comments would be so helpful. I’ve never had benefits before. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    HI,

PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. As we don't know exactly how your conditions affect you then it would be impossible to predict anything at this stage.
    DWP timescales from starting a claim to having a decision is about 10 months but this is just a guide.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @maria89, hello and welcome to the community.  as you must know PIP is not awarded on a disability or a diagnosis or the amount of prescription medications your taking. PIP is awarded on your inabilities to cope manage or preform the PIP activities/ descriptors safely and repeatedly and in a timely manner. Before sending off your application did you have help in filling in your application form.Did you take a self test of PIP to see how you would fair.  The whole process of claiming PIP and being accessed and a notification of an award if any can take several months. So be patient and try not to worry your assessment will come soon enough.
  • maria89
    Yes I did the test online and scored higher rate for daily living and lower rate for mobility. I am aware it’s not based on your conditions, but your ability to function day to day, which I outlined with pages of examples of how dehabilitating my conditions are and how they affect me day to day. Is there a huge backlog at the moment 
  • poppy123456
    maria89 said:
     Is there a huge backlog at the moment 
    As advised here..

DWP timescales from starting a claim to having a decision is about 10 months but this is just a guide.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maria89
    I thought it was 12 weeks?
  • poppy123456
    maria89 said:
    I thought it was 12 weeks?

Not anymore. Backlogs are huge. We have members here that applied in December/January that are still waiting for a decision.
  • maria89
    Poor people. Wish I hadn’t bothered now
  • maria89
    I used to work for dwp
  • poppy123456
    To be fair you only appplied 11 weeks ago. Even in normal times it very often takes longer than the 12 weeks you suggested. If successfully awarded it will be backdated to the date you first applied.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    maria89 said:
    I used to work for dwp
    I’d of thought you would know that the DWP and assessment providers can’t work miracles considering that. 
  • maria89
    Wow what a helpful space for people to discuss things that are really personal! Yes I worked there! I don’t now! I also worked on something completely different! 
  • beth65
    beth65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    @maria89. Hello and welcome. It is a  really stressful process, completing the forms and waiting( however I found all at the  DWP and the HCP who assessed me to be  kind , professional and supportive)  My timescales ( new claim)  were 1) Applied over the telephone 11th May 2) Sent PIP 2 form back 4th June 3) Telephone assessment 27th August. 4) Decision and payment 8th September.  I am also new to the benefits system so the timescales were a surprise( although my claim was seemingly dealt with relatively quickly)   It really is all about the descriptors and not your diagnosis. I hope you don't have to wait too long. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maria89,

Tone can be difficult to identify through written text, but I don't think any of our members were trying to make you feel as though the community isn't a helpful or safe space in which to discuss sensitive issues. 

As other members have said, waiting times can unfortunately be quite long at the moment. This means that the whole process can take a little while to get through. Waiting times do of course vary depending upon a number of factors, which makes it quite hard to say exactly how long you'll have to wait. The length of your waiting time doesn't indicate what your award will be, so try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I realise!). 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with your mental health lately, but it's good to hear that your working on getting a diagnosis. Are you receiving enough mental health support while you and your mental health team work out what your diagnoses may be?

Congratulations on getting your ADHD diagnosis, too. How are you feeling about receiving that new diagnosis? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • maria89
    I have a bpd diagnosis, alongside bulimia, dyspraxia, depression and anxiety. I just received an adhd diagnosis, and my psychiatrist said I might have cyclothymia. 

Life is a struggle.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I can imagine it'd be difficult to live with those conditions at times @maria89. You mentioned in your comment that you've been struggling with working full time, is that right? Have you got any reasonable adjustments (Scope) at work?

Has your psychiatrist been able to speak to you about ways you could manage your conditions? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • crystalcrip
    crystalcrip Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Another lister ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.