Can I request medical notes from my doctor? I've applied for PIP but can't remember the dates — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I request medical notes from my doctor? I've applied for PIP but can't remember the dates

Options
maryjane67
maryjane67 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi can i request medical notes  from your doctor as i have apply for pip but do not remember dates when i started when osteoarthritis  and xray done on my knee  

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Yes you can request copy of your medical notes 

If the dates are all you want then this should be easy enough to obtain 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes you can and it's free to receive digital copies of your medical records but PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • maryjane67
    Options
    hi thanks yes its only dates i need 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @maryjane67 - the PIP claim form just asks you to list your health conditions/disability, & approx. when they started. So, for example, I have a genetic disorder, but rather than saying this started at birth (which it obviously did), I remembered having problems from being about 13, so simply stated my problems with this genetic disorder started in approx. xxxx year. I didn't get diagnosed until I was 47, rather a lot of years later, illustrating a diagnosis in itself doesn't matter, rather when you started having problems with it. My genetic disorder also caused osteoarthrosis, but, as this is caused by 'wear & tear,' often over several years, I would just give an approx. year as to when this became problematic, not worry about the date of an X-ray which may have later confirmed this. Does that make sense to you? Just to add, it's very unlikely the DWP will get in touch with any of your Drs to confirm anything, least of all dates.
  • maryjane67
    Options
    yes thank you chiarieds that great 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.