Winter Blues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Winter Blues

Options
Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
As winter fast approaches and many people are looking forward to having a good Christmas at last. Once again at this time of year the news is full of doom and gloom.
Some Christmas presents could be hard to get. Gas suppliers going bust, meaning gas prices soaring for consumers. C02 shortages, making food packing hard. To few delivery drivers causing empty shelves and food shortages. Turkey's may not be available. Petrol now in short supply. 
Will all this cause 'panic' buying and people purchasing as much as possible then stocking it, making things worse?

Isn't the winter dark nights along with the cold weather and maybe Covid and Flu causing more misery bad enough?
The summer holiday season for many was bad, now the winter looks set to be as bad as well. 
Whatever next?

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It all seems in chaos at the moment doesn't it. I've come to the conclusion if the worse happens. I'm going to buy torches incase of power cuts. If there is a shortage of turkeys etc  then a curry is a good replacement. As long as there is something to eat. Gifts can wait. I'm just going to make most of a bad situation.  
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dragonslayer

Sorry to hear you are struggling with the winter approaching. Is there anything you or we could do to support you to feel better through the winter? Take care of yourself!
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Such stuff legends are made of.

All things shall pass. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Teddybear12

Thanks for sharing your highlight with us. I agree that identifying one or more positive things about each day can be uplifting. My winter highlight is that I normally try and get people in the Christmas spirit early with Christmas songs, movies and jumpers as making other people smile makes me feel warm. Has anyone else got any winter highlights they would like to share with us? I noticed quite a few highlights about autumn on the discussion post "autumn poem" that you might enjoy reading which was started by the amazing @Globster. If you are interested in reading the discussion thread about people's autumn highlights (including my own!), you can find them at https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/84196/autumn-poem?_ga=2.195398564.908144616.1632406386-203648702.1588053496&_gac=1.22591177.1632316046.Cj0KCQjwqKuKBhCxARIsACf4XuEFHRjekAq2KSFp5A2yJFK6MRhLUxkm5Y1dOZ8dxHku7yuUG8trtIEaAskcEALw_wcB
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've still got the summer blues!!  :#

Grass is still all brown and crispy here as we haven't had rain for what feels like months.  Bright sunshine every day except one of two, it's alright outside but it's still too hot behind glass for me.

I'm not even going to think about the winter blues until we at least have some green grass lol.  I can't see much reason for optimism currently though.

Brightness