I put in a change of circumstances, and it's been with a case manager for over a month. Why so long? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I put in a change of circumstances, and it's been with a case manager for over a month. Why so long?

keeleypatchett
keeleypatchett Community member Posts: 35 Connected
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello and thank you for letting me join the group. I've had to put in for a change of circumstances due to my disability getting worse. My claim as been with a case manager for over a month and I just wanted to know do you have any idea why its been with them so long. Thank you for taking the time to read this X

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm not sure whether you're talking about PIP. DLA or the work capability assessment. Either way, backlogs are huge across most of the country and a decision can take anything from 2 -12 weeks, sometimes longer. All you can do is wait.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • keeleypatchett
    Sorry for not stating ots pip 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @keeleypatchett

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see that you have joined us. Like @poppy123456 rightly said, there are unfortunately delays in all processes at the moment. Most likely because they are still catching up with their work in addition to being given a heavier workload than usual. However, the fact that it is with your case manager is a positive sign that they have received it and will be processing it when they can. I hope that reassures you that you will be okay. If you have any more questions or need support with anything else, please do not hesitate to reach out to us again  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • keeleypatchett
    Thank you so much for the information I thought it had to go to various people before the case manager you see. I really hope it's a positive outcome ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @keeleypatchett :) 

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into our PIP category and renamed it so that the title reflects the question you've asked.

I'm sorry to hear that your condition has worsened. Are you receiving enough support to help you manage that? 

Best of luck with the change in circumstances!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • keeleypatchett
    @Tori_Scope
    Thank you for letting me know and no ive got no support at all ?
  • keeleypatchett
    @MrBee
    I hope not it took me doing a mandatory reconsideration to get the first one ? 
  • keeleypatchett
    @MrBee
    Same with mine I find it now so difficult to walk im having ankle braces fitted next month. I've been diagnosed with M E constantly in pain ?. I'm so sorry to hear that your life as been hell with DWP just wish they wouldn't judge if only they knew what we was going through. Uoure right they're not your friend ive spoken to some really horrible people and it's made my anxiety worse that I'm scared to phone. 
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry to hear you haven't got much support @keeleypatchett. That must be difficult to deal with, along with sorting out your PIP. Have you spoken to your doctors to explain that things are much more difficult at the moment? 

• Tori_Scope
    edited September 2021
    Hi @MrBee,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some negative experiences with making benefits claims. Some people do unfortunately have trouble getting the award they're entitled to, and navigating the benefit system can feel like a full time job at times!

That being said, it's useful to recognise that not everyone's experience is the same. 
    The truth is they will try every way possible not to pay for anyone. They accept nothing and if you get in their way they make it harder.
    I can appreciate that you may have felt this way with your claims, but it's important to remember not to present your own experience or opinion as a fact. You can see that reflected in our house rules. I don't think any of us want to discourage people from applying for the benefits that they're entitled to and, thankfully, not everyone has such a negative experience. 
    How can I give proof of a personal experience.
    The important thing is that you make sure it's clear you're speaking from personal experience, rather than making an assertion that everyone's experience will be the same. Does that make sense? 

I'm sorry that you weren't able to get the level of support you needed either. Have you ever used advicelocal.uk? It's a useful site that shows you where you can access advice in your local area. 

I'm also going to send you an email about what you mentioned around feeling suicidal at times, as it's important to us that you're safe and well.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    MrBee said:
    @MrBee
    Same with mine I find it now so difficult to walk im having ankle braces fitted next month. I've been diagnosed with M E constantly in pain ?. I'm so sorry to hear that your life as been hell with DWP just wish they wouldn't judge if only they knew what we was going through. Uoure right they're not your friend ive spoken to some really horrible people and it's made my anxiety worse that I'm scared to phone. 
    Keeley. The truth is they will try every way possible not to pay for anyone. They accept nothing and if you get in their way they make it harder.
    I will have to disagree with that one sorry. Never had a problem with DWP or the HCP that do the assessments.
    MrBee said:
    @MrBee This is not true. Do you have a link that proves what you are saying ? 
    Oh please be sure not to take my word for it! Just find out for yourself! BTW you have to have Fibromyalgia first to find out. And I wouldn't recommend that!

I've already found out what FM is like because i was diagnosed with it in 2013. I also have other conditions as well. I've been claiming ESA since 2012 and PIP since 2013. Never an issue and always found the HCPs to be very polite, helpful and understanding.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
     I accept your reasoning it's just hard to not let people know without explain your own issues and experiences. 
    You're welcome to share your experiences here on the community @MrBee, so long as it's clear that they're your experiences rather than a fact that applies to everyone, and so long as those experiences are relevant and useful to the discussion :) That's what I meant by this:
    The important thing is that you make sure it's clear you're speaking from personal experience, rather than making an assertion that everyone's experience will be the same. 
    I hope that makes sense.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and thank you for letting me join the group. I've had to put in for a change of circumstances due to my disability getting worse. My claim as been with a case manager for over a month and I just wanted to know do you have any idea why its been with them so long. Thank you for taking the time to read this X
    To be clear. Once you report a change of circumstances affecting the way your health affects you DWP will normally issue a new health questionnaire for you to complete followed by an assessment, if required, before a DM makes a decision on a new award. Has all this happened?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • keeleypatchett
    No not yet I had to fill out a change of circumstances form that had all the health questions on 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.