Would Carers element on Universal Credot affect relative's pensions or Council Tax entitlement? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would Carers element on Universal Credot affect relative's pensions or Council Tax entitlement?

ponies
ponies Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi hi there, my relative has asked me to be his Carer. I’m on Universal Credit at the moment, and after speaking to my work coach, they informed me that I could claim
the Carers element of U.C. If I was to become the Carer.
My Relative is on State Pension 70yrs old & gets Attendance Allowance daily rate. His wife is 66yrs old, cares for her brother 35hours per week, although She doesn’t get the Carers allowance, as it’s an overlapping benefit, as She gets a pension herself, & can’t get both.
She has been told, She can still be a Carer, as it would give her an underlying entitlement towards help with Council Tax.
They don’t get Pension Credits.
I just want to know, by me being my relatives Carer, would it affect any of their pensions, or their Council Tax entitlement.

Comments

• ponies
    Also would it affect my entitlement to U.C or my Council Tax entitlement by claiming Carers element of UC
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Does the wife claim either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance? or is she registered blind? Do any other adults live with them?
    Also does her brother live alone? Does your UC include the LCWRA element for yourself?
    Sorry for all the questions but i just need to make sure the correct advice is given because if someone claims carers allowance or the carere element of UC for looking after someone, it could affect their benefits if they are claiming the Severe Disability Premium. Or they could be entitled to it and not realise.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ponies
    Hi there, no She doesn’t claim any of them. Yes her brother does live alone, gets AA but doesn’t get any other benefits. Gets a Retirement Pension & Private Pension. Also owns his own house
  • ponies
    No other adults live with them.
  • ponies
    Get the basic U.C.
  • ponies
    I don’t pay Council Tax, live alone and own my house
  • poppy123456
    You can claim the carers element for your relative and it won't affect their benefits and of course it would increase your UC maximum entitlement. You will also not have any work commitments so won't have to attend any further appointments or look for work. I have no idea if it would affect your Council tax reduction.
    The brother is entitled to SDP because he lives alone. This is paid in with Pension Credit and can be backdated to the date he became entitled to it. Although he has a private pension he may still be entitled to some pension credit so he should get a full benefits check before doing anything else.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ponies
    He doesn’t get Pension Credits, He has too much State retirement Pension & Private Pension. He has paid a full stamp class A contribution most of his working life.
    He does get AA 

• ponies
    Also as his sister is still his Carer although doesn’t get Carers Allowance, as with her State Pension & class A contribution She has paid, She was told it was classed as an overlapping payment & couldn't claim both pension & Carers allowance. But was told by still being the Carer for her brother 35hrs or more wkly it would give her an underlying entitlement when doing a calculation with Council Tax.
  • ponies
    Would I best contact my local Council regarding my CT if I was to claim Carers Element of U.C to find out if it would affect my CTB
    Thank you 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    ponies said:
    He doesn’t get Pension Credits, He has too much State retirement Pension & Private Pension. He has paid a full stamp class A contribution most of his working life.
    He does get AA 
    It depends on whether he has ever had a calculation for Pension Credit to include SDP. If his total income is less than £244/week he could have some PC entitlement (depending on savings).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited September 2021
    ponies said:
    Would I best contact my local Council regarding my CT if I was to claim Carers Element of U.C to find out if it would affect my CTB
    Thank you 
    Because each council can set it’s own rules for working age claimants it’s impossible to offer advice on CTR on a general forum like this. The council may be able to advise you but may not, if not try your local Citizens Advice or other advice agency and ask them to do a benefits calculation for you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    ponies said:
    Also as his sister is still his Carer although doesn’t get Carers Allowance, as with her State Pension ...She was told it was classed as an overlapping payment & couldn't claim both pension & Carers allowance. But was told by still being the Carer for her brother 35hrs or more wkly it would give her an underlying entitlement when doing a calculation with Council Tax.
    That is broadly correct. She cannot receive State Pension and Carer’s Allowance because they are overlapping benefits. However by claiming Carer’s Allowance she establishes the underlying entitlement which will be used when calculating Council Tax Reduction. (Of course, CTR will not actually increase due to the underlying entitlement if CTR would fully cover the CT liability anyway even without the underlying carer entitlement.)

• ponies
    He has too much savings
    thank you so much for your help 
  • poppy123456
    ponies said:
    He has too much savings

There's no upper savings limit for those of state pension age. Savings of up to £10,000 are disregarded. For every £500 or part there of over this amount there's a £1 deduction. The brother really should get a benefits check as previously advised.
  • ponies
    Thanks Poppy 123456
  • calcotti
    ponies said:
    He has too much savings
    My reference to savings in my earlier post was just because savings over £10,000 would reduce PC entitlement as now explained by poppy.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.