Thank you — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thank you

Options
Daniel_2021
Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
Hi,
I'm still trying to come to terms with being disabled and how our lives have changed (I include my amazing wife). It's clear to say that I haven't managed the change well at all and continue to struggle with resentment and anger towards my body, I question why it puts me through so much pain everyday.
That uplifting bit aside and the reason my message is titled thank you is that after my new post I got a direct email from the scope team to reassure me of the mental health support that is available (if you are struggling mentally please reach out, there is so much support). Anyway during the email Scope offered to refer me to my local council to see what support they can offer, less than 72 hours later my council have just phoned.
There is a bit of a wait to be assessed but the process has been started with a massive thanks to Scope (and Tori for the referral!). Aside from the big thanks I guess my advice to everyone would be if you think you need help with something ask on here and Scope will tell you if it's possible.
I have a long long way to recover and see what my new norm is going to be, that journey will be made up of a number of mile stones, one of which i've just been supported with today.
Many thanks,
Daniel

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Daniel it's great to hear that you have begun the journey, having been through the same journey I know its a difficult road to tread.
    It reminded me of something my wife said just after it became clear my disability would mean I would not work again, she said the first thought that went through her head was that we would need to buy a chip pan, as we would have to live off eggs chips and beans, we didn't but I understood her thought process.
    You take care Daniel and don't be afraid to shout out if you need more help at any time.
    cheers
    John
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Daniel_2021 glad your getting the support that you need. We are here any time you want to talk or join in.
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello Daniel

Just wanted to say that I thought your post was great. So many times people forget to say thanks and that one word can mean so much.

I hope the local authority assessment helps you. 

I still struggle to class myself as disabled after 50 plus years and every day, at some point, it comes as a surprise to me, that one leg is dragging along what feels like a few feet behind so I understand the journey as I still have a long way to go to accept I need help or to ask it 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Daniel_2021
    Options
    Hi Reg,
    I'm in danger of my messages sounding like an Oscar speech soon but thanks for saying that, it was lovely. Next I need to thank my parents and a primary school teach who always believed in me to be full on Oscar mode!
    Is there anything you do that helps your leg either physically or mentally? I'm all over the place at the moment to find something, recently i've said we need to move, get a stair lift, a new car, dig some trees up and join the gym!! I have to have these messages on speak mode so I don't think the above will happen but I oddly do feel part of a community on here when I read everyone's comments, I know i'm not alone and I know life goes on....not a bad lesson to learn early on!
    Cheers Reg, 
    Daniel
  • Reg
    Options
    Ha Daniel - good to see you have kept your sense of humour !

I was lucky enough to move to a bungalow in between lockdowns - tiny and not as central as I was before but I can't recommend it highly enough as while it was hard to downsize etc I have a lot more freedom and no longer fall down the stairs so all good stuff.

Sure you will get there with a house move, car change etc . I try to always think of the leg as character building - probably a grumpy old character but nonetheless there is always a new challenge .

I am currently container gardening and writing . Do those interest you or could you take up art ? My painting skills are horrendous as attempted that and knew it was not for me 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Daniel_2021
    Options
    Reg, I think I need to move near you. I loved gardening and I want to get into writing!! I would love to be able to draw or paint but i've never tried in earnest. I need to get into something that allows me to express myself more to help with my anger.

• Reg
    Options
    Daniel

Do you know what sort of writing you want to get into?

When I gave up proper work as I could not cope with the commute I did a free open university creative writing course . I found it really good and amazing value !

My plan was to write a book but I got diverted into writing as a second career - it happened by accident but I now write freelance from home - mainly blogs and articles . The good thing is that as it is freelance I can work when I want from home . You can get paid per hour but I adjust time as I know I am slow with my clawed hands. 

I started earning as much as I would have done on benefits but it mushroomed and kept going. A novel may be more your thing - in many ways I wish I had not gone down the blogging route as I believe all of us have a novel in us. 

If you try the open uni creative writing course let me know what you think. I would be happy to edit once you have written your first chapter ! 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad they got in touch with you so quickly @Daniel_2021 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness