Hissing in Eden — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hissing in Eden

leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
i once came across an adder in my garden, luckily it didn’t bite me but it gave me a shock as it was around 90cm long. Having seen it disappear through the hedge I was relieved but I found it difficult to sit in the garden and close my eyes after that near miss. ? 

I was wondering if you had found anything unusual in your garden over the years, maybe an animal or perhaps an object whilst digging?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    When I was about 8 years old I spotted a Tortoise in a neighbours garden, me being me I went and asked if it was theirs, they said it wasn't and if i wanted I could take it home which I did, it lived another 10 years.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    You’ve reminded me of a similar story @woodbine. Years ago we had a long garden which tended to become sodden when it rained and so I dug an irrigation ditch down one side of it leading to a soak away. One day I came home from work to find a tortoise stuck in the ditch. We kept it for several years and became very fond of Fred. He or she was quite personable actually and had a taste for lupin flowers. We still miss Fred. 

They surely do wander and can be quite fast contrary to popular belief.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I think I'd die if I came across a ? lol. I know we have them but u don't expect to find one in the garden.  
  • leeCal
    I was scared @Sandy_123 I must admit, I really don’t like snakes. We’d had a pond in the garden which attracted frogs and though I filled it in we had frogs visiting for years afterwards, I think the snake was after the frogs ? riddit! 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Eek you'll have to Invest In a ? to play next time lol 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I had a mole problem they seem to have gone now 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I absolutely hate snakes, this made my toes curl @leeCal!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Snakes...why'd it have to be snakes!?  :#

I was clearing out a decrepit greenhouse after my Grandad passed away.  Didn't expect to find anything living in there due to the sunlight (unlike the damp, dark, shed!).  I lifted an open veg box on the table and a small pointy head shot up and looked me straight in the eye!!  Being a strong, independent man I...immediately dropped the box, leapt out of the greenhouse and ran across the other side of the garden!  :D  Could've done with some snakes there to keep the rats away!  ;)

Brightness