Can I get my current pip award backdated to a previous claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get my current pip award backdated to a previous claim

Options
Lpknight92
Lpknight92 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone,

I have just been assessed by capita for pip and I'm awaiting my decision, I have stage 3 HIV which could develop into AIDS as well as Autism, ADHD and Dyspraxia.
I am confident I will he awarded PIP based on this and the mountain of supporting evidence and the help from support workers but it has been a very difficult year without being able to work and receiving no support apart from basic UC while housebound for the last 18 months. (I've also been waiting 10 months for a work capability assessment)

I'm looking for some advice regarding the initial claim I made for PIP in June 2020. After I was diagnosed with HIV and informed of the severity of it I applied for PIP and was turned down receiving 0 points based on the fact that before the pandemic I had worked all of my life which at the time I thought was unfair but didn't have the mental or physical energy to appeal at the time as I was going through what was possibly my final few months of life as my health, physically and mentally was already at a low point during the pandemic without knowing that my immune system had been eradicated and that I was lucky to not have caught covid already. 

At the time I was embarrassed, depressed and in a had place and I feel that my assessor or the dwp's assessment wasn't fair and the due to the level of discrimination I received from even my own GP, dentist etc I didn't have it in me to fight back but now even though my health is still in a precarious position I want to explore the possibility of asking for this to he reconsidered and paid back to the initial claim I made in June 2020.

Could anyone offer me any advice on this?

LPK
X
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    To challenge the June 2020 decision you would need to request a Mandatory Reconsideration. This needs to be done with 13 months of the decision. What is the date of the decision on that claim?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Lpknight92, hello and welcome, PIP is not awarded on a disability or diagnosis but on your inabilities to cope or manage the PIP activities/ descriptors in a safe, repeatedly and in a timely manner. Did you or have you taken a PIP self test like the one on the benefits and work site and see how you would fair. To many people are trying to claim PIP without full understanding the claiming criteria of the benefit..
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    yes yes your right Mike but just because you have a disability or diagnosis its down to how you function in relation to the PIP descriptors as to if your awarded PIP.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.