Got pip assessment report and I'm so hurt. What can I do? Should I appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Got pip assessment report and I'm so hurt. What can I do? Should I appeal?

Maybeimcrazy
Maybeimcrazy Community member Posts: 48 Connected
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, i requested a copy of my pop assessment, and im so hurt as to what they lady has typed out, conveniently, she's missed all the main parts, she hasn't typed how i was crying for the first 5 minutes of the assessment, only a split second, she's told a few white lies, i can't believe people, can lie like this, im fully aware, it mite not of been what i wanted she's scored me 0 on every question! I find this hard because, of my answers, its like my answers didn't even matter. Now im not sure if i ever want to take it to the next steps. I know the DM may go the other way, but that's like one in a million I'm guessing. I feel mental health issues looked upon as what a joke. They've talked about my daughters alot like they are my careers, far from it, i struggle with eating and touching foods. Yes i was making myself sick and spend a lot of time in my bedroom. I don't not have any Facebook, Instagram all that, apparently i communicate with all my family via that. I only talk to my sister and i have problems sleeping and with people i don't know. Said i don't have panic attacks but yeah for a person to do a job. And put a load of lies sucks. any positive messages I'd really appreciate. also I'd be cool with a zero score. If she had typed the truth out and apparently i self harm now. Nope wrong i said i think about it as i did it 10 years ago but my girls mean more to me for me to do that again. What can i do now. Would they just say no again. Im so lost. And hurt 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Maybeimcrazy - I hope I can find the right words to help you. Many of us have received copies of the assessor's report which hurts; I had before I joined this forum. What I have since learnt are that there can be 'inaccuracies' in such a report, which, if it ends up a person goes to a tribunal, then the tribunal are used to poor assessor's reports, & what matters more is just the person saying the difficulties they have with regard to the PIP activities/descriptors.
    So first, please try to put the assessor's report behind you; I know it's hard, but doing so, please, can be a way forward. The assessor's can also use some 'cut & paste' responses that bear no resemblance to how you really are, but it happens.
    Sometimes you haven't given enough detail in your PIP claim form not knowing what was needed, & the assessor's will base their opinion on this as well as your assessment.
    So, to try & help you, if your decision letter isn't what you hope, you can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) where another decision maker will look at all of the evidence you've sent again. Rather than concentrating on the assessor's report, this is your chance to add more details if you haven't done so before. Try & give a couple of recent, detailed examples of the difficulty you faced attempting/doing any applicable activity/descriptor.......what exactly happened, when, why, did anyone see it happen, were there any consequences?
    Please also have a look at this link; it's about completing a PIP claim form, but is also relevant if a MR is needed: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/ 
    Please let us know how you get on with your decision letter; we are all here to support you, & we have members who can advise further.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    The HCP doesn’t score anyone points, they are recommendations. The report is part of your evidence and is the HCPs opinion based on your original form, your evidence and your assessment. 
    They are not there to write everything you say verbatim. If they were there would be no point in the assessments. 
    The decision maker mostly goes with the report but not always and it has been known for them to go against it.
    once the decision is made if you’re not happy you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR)
    If you need more advice once the decision is made then post back and I’m sure members will be happy to advise you further. 
    Decision waiting times are anything from 2-12 weeks sometimes longer. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Maybeimcrazy
    Hi @chiarieds thank you for the kind words, does the DM also read and see your form, that you have to write out, or is it just the report of the assessment? I'm not sure if its even worth all the hassle anymore, this was stressful enough to be honest, 

@poppy123456 so does thr DM also see the form you have to send in, plus the report also? Because surely they would see, i didn't get hardly asked about my mental health, it was all related to, abit about my sleep and if i can follow a map i didn't get GCSEs and i can remember to take my meds. And take them out the pack. Crazy! Sorry if i don't reply back tonight, as im shattered ill reply back tomorrow ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maybeimcrazy - yes, the DM will read your PIP claim form, the assessor's report, & any other evidence you've already sent in with your claim pack. Sorry, yes it can be stressful; wish it was different, but, perhaps worth pursuing. You have time to consider this, however.
  • HJP290
    HJP290 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    @Maybeimcrazy

I had same problem with mine lv few white lies when recieved the report got my highlighter out and was so angry rang doctors for all my consultants letters . Ready for my fight with them . Once i got my letter . 

Then the descion maker rang me up randomly ask me a few questions and said doesnt agree with the assesors report 

and i got full mobility for moving around and standard for care which is what i thought i would assesed at 

there are a few good ones there :) 
  • Maybeimcrazy
    Thank you all for the replys and your kind words, so once i have the final report back, what do i need if i was to ask for a MR? Do i need another form, as im unsure what the next steps would be. 
  • Maybeimcrazy
    @jimbob21190 wow! That's fab news and gives me a little bit of hope,  so i got confused, with this copy? And they don't score me??? See im not good at things like this so please forgive me its hard trying to do this and it sometimes takes a bit to understand before the penny drops so to speak. ?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Maybeimcrazy
  • Maybeimcrazy
    @Amathyst thank you so much I'll have a look shortly. I just read a post that most times the DM goes with the report i really hope i may get a call because i feel they will have a better understanding. Than a report ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    It's rare for the decision maker to ring at this stage. They mostly go with the report but it has been known for them to go against it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Maybeimcrazy
    @poppy123456 well if the DM reads my pip form then read the assessment report I'm hoping they change there mind! It doesn't even seem like my report. But I've found the links helpful the other members have sent, I've had time to take it all in and to be honest, i am going to ask for a MR for sure. ? my sisters going to help me. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Yeah, they do but they can dispute it if they see something is wrong, it happened in my case but due to mess ups on Capita's part, the case manager had no option than to go with the report (time was running out on the current award at that time).
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maybeimcrazy :) 

I'm sorry to hear that seeing your PIP assessors report has caused some hurt, but it's great to see that you seem to feel a bit more confident in knowing what to do if you choose to submit an MR once your decision letter has arrived. 

I was just wondering whether you're receiving enough support for your mental health at the moment? It sounds as though you've been experiencing a few different symptoms that have really been affecting your life. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Maybeimcrazy
    Hi @Tori_Scope thank you for reaching out, ? and i was talking with someone but it was the same questions all the time. Can i ask what you mean by a few different symptoms ? ? 
  • Tori_Scope
    i was talking with someone but it was the same questions all the time

Do you mean talking with a professional, such as a therapist? If so, I'm sorry that you didn't feel as though it was helpful. Have you considered trying a different kind of therapy? 
    Can i ask what you mean by a few different symptoms ?
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I just meant a few things I'd noticed you mention in your post, such as:
    i struggle with eating and touching foods
    Yes i was making myself sick and spend a lot of time in my bedroom.
    i have problems sleeping and with people i don't know.
    apparently i self harm now. Nope wrong i said i think about it 

(I understand you've said that you don't currently self harm, but thinking about it is still something worth chatting with someone about if you feel able to).

• Maybeimcrazy
    Oh i understand now sorry! And my sister has booked me with a new one just this passed Friday i have a call with her on this thursday and going to see if though ? and yes i was making myself sick but that was almost 2 months ago now and havent felt ive needed or wanted too.

So i fell thats a positive step in the right direction.

Hopefully this new lady will be more helpful. If not i know i can come hear. Thank you for your kind words.
  • Tori_Scope
    That's definitely a step in the right direction @Maybeimcrazy :) I hope the call with the new one goes well, you'll have to let us know how it goes!

I'm also glad to hear that you're no longer making yourself sick. Please do let us know if there's anything you need, or anything we can do to help. 

• Maybeimcrazy
    Hi all just a update with my appointment with my therapy it went so well, she was so understanding and let me take my time.. I'm also doing a MR and my sister is going to help with that as that really got to me that i didn't even get 2 points. I know understand sick notes are not excepted but i have some paperwork. I honestly do feel as though if the DM or someone from the assessment or DWP are living with you. Then most don't understand, what its like every day to live and deal with it. I honestly feel they took nothing on board, how it effects me everyday. Alot of it is due to my passed as a teenager, and im 40 now and still struggle. Plus other things. Hopefully it maybe different. But i have been told most the time with a MR its still no, if i was to take it to the next step would I have to attend? Or is it via phone call @bekindalways thank you for the kind words. I'll keep you updated ?? xxx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.