I claimed UC in August. Should we get rent paid for September? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I claimed UC in August. Should we get rent paid for September?

Neha231
Neha231 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
So I claimed uc on the 25th August this year and we borrowed and paid rent as we were unable to pay rent now thinking uc will give us the rent for 1 Sept when they pay us however they are going to pay us in October and that would be the rent for October but since we claimed since 28th August shouldn't we get the rent for Sept as well? I am si confused as its the first time I have claimed with them. Please help

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    UC is paid in arrears. You claimed UC on 25th August. Your UC payment on 1st October will include help with rent for the period 25th August to 24th September. Your next payment on 1st November will include hep with rent for 25th Sept to 24th October etc.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Neha231
    @calcotti but the rent they pay us this month would have to be paid to landlord for October's rent and so forth every month so how would we get the money back for last month's rent I am so confused sorry 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    Your rent for October will be paid to you on 1st November, as calcotti has advised, UC is paid in arrears.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Neha231
    @poppy123456 but then the cycle will just keep going on like this right so they pay me on 2 Oct for my last month's rent But I have to pay my landlord on 2nd October for this month's rent I won't be getting the money to pay back from the person I borrowed if you guys are understanding what I am saying? 
  • poppy123456
    Yes I understand that but this is how UC works and there’s nothing that can be done about it. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    Neha231 said:.. if you guys are understanding what I am saying? 
    Completely understand. You pay rent in advance but UC pays you the help in arrears which creates an initial cash flow problem. However that’s the way it works.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    This is one of the reasons why landlords refuse the DSS tenants.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Hi,

If it helps you can sometimes get a advance for new claims from Universal Credit which should help you towards your rent, you can get 100% of what your entitled too and pay this back over a 12/24 Months this option helps alot of new claiments which have the same problem of getting money in arrears.

• calcotti
    rubin16 said: If it helps you can sometimes get a advance for new claims from Universal Credit which should help you towards your rent, you can get 100% of what your entitled too and pay this back over a 12/24 Months this option helps alot of new claiments which have the same problem of getting money in arrears.
    This has to be done within the first AP and OP is now past that point.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    In wales we can apply for what is called a four week run on so thst rent is paid on both properties or you can apply for discretionary housing or you can ask for a loan off universal credit 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.