I've been awarded PIP. I've just started therapy and been diagnosed with PTSD. Should I notify PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been awarded PIP. I've just started therapy and been diagnosed with PTSD. Should I notify PIP?

Stoney316uk21
Stoney316uk21 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi folks since my last post i have been approved for pip .my previous claim via phone got zero points .a face to face i got 11 .
Now i have finally got therapy for suicidal depression and only last week got diagnosed with ptsd from a serious motorcycle accident 5 yrs ago .now my question is do i notify pip and risk loosing it or do i not notify them and risk loosing it .
If i tell them it may increase my rate ,if i dont then because of the change i might loose it or would i ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,936 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

No, because PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. You should never report any changes until you've got expert advice because you risk losing everything you already have. A diagnosis doesn't mean your condition has got worse.
    If you report a change of circumstances you will be sent more forms and the process starts all over again. You won't lose your award by not reporting a diagnosis.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    A diagnosis does not affect your entitlement. PIP is about how you are affected. You should only report a change if the impact your health has on you has changed and the change could result in a different point score which in turn would result in a different level of award. Not something it is prudent to do without taking advice.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Stoney316uk21 - you don't need to notify the DWP of any changes such as getting a new diagnosis, & you certainly wouldn't lose your current claim. The time to report a 'change of circumstances' is when it's relevant in potentially gaining more points regarding the activities/descriptors looked at with PIP (& then it's wise to seek local advice beforehand), or if your conditions/disability has improved.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope the above comments have been helpful @Stoney316uk21. It's good to hear that you've started therapy, and received a new diagnosis. How are you finding the therapy?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Stoney316uk21
    Stoney316uk21 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Hi Tori its going well alot of built up anger from the accident and found alot of triggers trying to control them is harder than i thought though .
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    I can imagine there'd be lots of different feelings involved that you'll be able to unpack with them @Stoney316uk21. It'll be difficult, with their help you should hopefully learn to manage your responses to those triggers. It can take time, but try and trust the process :) Best of luck with it all!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.