Should I claim PIP? I struggle with getting public transport and getting up the stairs to my home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I claim PIP? I struggle with getting public transport and getting up the stairs to my home

officechick
officechick Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, I’m struggling right now with public transport/getting to abs from work twice a week. I have arthritis in both knees (caused by misalignment from congenital issues with tendons), dehydration in lower lumbar spine and I suspect I also have arthritis in my ankles as they get painful too from time to time but my main pain is my knees and getting about. Over the past 14 months my weight has ballooned and I struggle standing on the underground and with stairs and walking from my house to the tube station which isn’t very far. I get bad backache and rely on painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs to help me cope. I’m also finding it uncomfortable sitting on the tube because I’m a lot bigger than I used to be. The seats are divided with hand rests which are painful. If I stand I suffer all day because the jolts affect my knees and I feel everything moving inside the joints as I twist to keep standing. I’m seriously considering getting a mobility scooter. I’m worried that if I claim I’ll just be told to lose weight and everything will get better as the arthritis isn’t bad enough that I can’t walk anywhere. I have 2 flights of stairs to get in and out of my home and I get leg pain as well when going upstairs and knee pain when going downstairs. It’s affecting my mental health too. I’ve heard horror stories about how claimants are treated and reviewed 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @officechick :) It's great to have you with us, so thanks for joining!

Have you taken a look at the PIP descriptors (pipinfo.net)? This is a good place to start, as the descriptors are what you're scored against in order to determine your award. If you haven't already, it might be worth going through them and seeing if you can think of some real world examples relating to the descriptors. You don't have to score on every one of course. 
    I’ve heard horror stories about how claimants are treated and reviewed 
    Some people do, unfortunately, have negative experiences of the PIP process. That being said, it's worth remembering that you're more likely to read the negative stories than the positive ones online. 
    It’s affecting my mental health too.
    I was just wondering whether you're receiving any support for your mental health at the moment? I'm sorry to hear that your mental health has been affected, and want you to know the community can be a safe place for you to discuss this if you wish. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @officechick, hello and welcome, PIP is a state benefit awarded to people to help them with their daily living and mobility issues. PIP is not awarded on a disability or diagnosis or the amount of prescription drugs you are taking. PIP is awarded on your inabilities to preform cope or manage the PIP activities/ descriptors in a repeatedly and timely manner safely. To find out how you would fair take the self PIP test on the Benefits and work site and be honest with your answers as should apply for PIP any answers submitted in your application form will have to be justified at your assessment.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    As advised you need to look at the specific PIP descriptors .
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Going up and down stairs is not one of the activities considered when assessing PIP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • officechick
    officechick Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thanks everyone. I haven’t taken the step yet to get help with depression. I will take a look at the PIP descriptors.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It's good to hear you'll take a look @officechick :) If you're confused about any of them, or have any questions, please do ask. 

It can be difficult taking the first step to get some support. Is it something you think you might want to do in the future? Do you have a good support network around you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.