My sick note doesn't run out till next March, should I have to attend work search interviews? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My sick note doesn't run out till next March, should I have to attend work search interviews?

steve1965
steve1965 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I've been on sick now for several years ( universal credit),  drug intolerant fibromyalgia,  spondylitis and COPD.  In the last couple of months I've had to have three work search interviews even though sick note doesn't run out till next march . I would like to know if they should be asking me to attend these meetings,  they should know that stress causes me pain and I cant get relief from it because I cant take the drugs because of the fibromyalgia.  Should they be bothering me every 2 weeks ? Or are they breaking rules or even laws by what they are doing ?
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A fit note doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work. It's down to the discretion of your owrk coach whether they turn off all commitments. Have you been referred for a work capability assessment yet?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless you have been found to have LCW or LCWRA you are treated as a jobseeker although, as poppy says, the work coach has discretion to turn off requirements. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • steve1965
    LCW  ?
    LCWRA  ? 
    What are they ?
    How can your work coach be allowed to cause me pain . Stress causes me pain as well as other problems,  she knows yet still puts me through it even when she knows I dont get any relief from it as I cant take the medication needed . Meds have nearly killed me twice and that's how I know I have drug intolerant fibromyalgia.  I'm being tortured and they think it's ok. 
  • steve1965
    In the seven + years I've been on sick I've had 1 assessment and because I could lift my arm I was told I'm capable of work . I'm waiting,  last 18 months for another assessment.  I've been told it will be soon . I've only just , last couple of months , had to go to interviews again . They are pushing me back into a very dark place mentally.  I've been waiting 16 months so far to see mental health at hospital and was almost sectioned by police/ paramedics on their last visit . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    The work focused interviews were suspended for quite sometime. They were then through phone calls but have now started back up at your local job centre.
    There's information here regarding claiming UC with a health condition, which contains information about LCW and LCWRA.
    It's entirely at the discretion of your work coach whether they turn off work your commitments. You can request a different work coach but there's no guarantee whether the new one will switch off commitments.
    You said you're waiting for an assessment, have you filled out a work capability assesment form? It will be this one.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Because you were found Fit for Work you are a jobseeker. Requirements were suspended last year due to Covid but are back in place. As advised, if you have reported a deterioration in your health, your work coach has discretion to turn off the requirements. You would need to discuss this with them.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @steve1965

Welcome to the community, it's good to see you join us. 

I have sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, it would be great if you could give it a read and get back to us.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.