Another episode? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Another episode?

onebigvoice
onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 741 Pioneering
I don't know if you look after or are close to someone who has mental issues, or has been diagnosed with a problem and requires monitoring.  but over the last few days I could see things were not right.
  Sunday morning I had a call and had to go over as they were crying where everything seemed to be to much to handle.  In ringing the Crisis line number given, and then awating a call back took 7 hours by now 2.00pm,  the all said some one will be ringing you soon? 3 hours later I was asked to take her down to A & E where they will evaluate her.
  By this time in pieces, get to A & E I am not allowed in with her even when explaining her problem.  this I could not understand.  6 hours in a waiting room come and pick her bac up they have made an appointment to call her at home to bring her in to evaluate her and recheck her meds.
  In a case of emergency as she has twice decided to finish every thing, ( on her notes ) we now have to wait for a call which last time was 2.00pm in the afternoon.  Is this the NHS going forward, and understanding the seriousness of the situation, or is this just another lack of funding, in an area where hidden illnesses tae a back seat?
Just have to wait, I had to have her sectioned last tim for her own protection, this resulted in 4 days, sitting in a room with others reading magasines and colouring pictures with cross words inbetween?  In the end she would stay overnight and I would take her out and return her at 4.00pm in the afternoon?  Where is the aftercare?  Dose her up with tablets which didn't work and left her like a cabbage?
  I have read the lables inside and I thought what I took was suspect, but the doctor knows best?    

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @onebigvoice :) I'm sorry to hear that someone you're close to has been struggling with their mental health recently. It's good that you managed to get her to A&E, it sounds as though you really care for her. 

I've unfortunately heard quite a few stories of people not being able to get the help they need when it comes to mental health, even those who are in crisis. Does she currently receive any other support? You've mentioned that she's on medication, but has she been able to access any talking therapy or anything like that? 

I hope it's not too long until they call to evaluate her and her medication. Is she able to express how the medication made her feel last time? 

Please also try to make sure you look after yourself and your own mental health throughout this difficult process. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • onebigvoice
    As a reply from yesterday:
      She was seen at 110.00pm at night where I was told to come and pick her up as she will be evaluated in the morning.
      All they said was they would ring in the morning to bring her down as before.
      We were up at 7.30 am and waited for the call.  I am sorry to say that we got the call at 3.30pm.  If that is not enough to make anyones hair curl then I don't know what.
      She was told to pack a bag last night just in case, so now they are taking her " overnight " for re-evaluation tomorrow?
      In amoung all this she has two chidren in school and one in uni about 10 miles away.  Along with getting the kids up and fed and taken to school, I have rung her employer to explain the situation even though she was working from home.  And to be fair they are as googd as gold.  This is why I say if you have a problem and are employed unless you tell them they can't do any thing for you.
      In this case before the pandemic the problem was " the unseen illness " and going back to work after being off for so long.  The looks you think every body is giving you when most are genuine and ask about you in general not to be nosey.
      Adaptions in the work place and different chair for computer work all helped.
      Getting back to toay its a long old wait even for me to take her down as I would have rung ages ago.
      But it gave me time to find what is triggering this and help take the pressure off her in running the house and work committments. 
      The company is a big employer in Cardiff and have ties with our union so were only to help and proves yet again that they value their employees, and still payed her sick pay and monthly top up on wages to what she would earn even after sick pay had run out but got her back in work on reduced hours which helped her get back into some type of normality.
      I can say normality since like me when you are evaluated and they decide that you can go home they give you a certificate to say that you are "normal" I have two how many do you have.
      My last paragraph is my coping mechadnism for coping and use this to relax people when you see they are nervous and stressed, and can talk about my illness to others, whether they except it or not is up to them.
      Lets see what happens next?  
  • Tori_Scope
    Thanks for the update @onebigvoice :) I'm sorry that you had to wait in all day to have the call. Has she had her evaluation today? 

Well done for getting the kids ready, and sorting things out with her employer. I'm glad that they're being supportive. Are the kids coping alright? 

• onebigvoice
    Thanks for the update @onebigvoice :) I'm sorry that you had to wait in all day to have the call. Has she had her evaluation today? 

Well done for getting the kids ready, and sorting things out with her employer. I'm glad that they're being supportive. Are the kids coping alright? 

As a reply from yesterday:
      And thank you for the support, kids are O K, usual thing with the assessment, waited till lunch time, decided to take her out and do a bit of personal shopping, had a meal in the canteen there and got some Micro wave meals for later and tommorow.
    got back about 3.30pm  a Doctor came around 4.00pm asked how she was coping?  and said a doctor will be round to see you tommorow?
      Tomorrow will be a bit of breakfast, some colouring and crosswords then around 1.00pm might see someone?
    I believe she will be in for about 5 days in total can't see much evaluation going on.
  • Tori_Scope
    Well let's hope that they do evaluate her well today @onebigvoice. Colouring and crosswords sound good, something to keep her occupied. Has she been able to have a think about what she wants to come out of this evaluation? For example, the kind of support she needs? 

Brightness