Am I getting the correct benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I getting the correct benefits

Options
mickymoo
mickymoo Community member Posts: 34 Connected
Before my heart attack I was in employment for 22 months before that I had been self employed for around 10 years
So I had my heart attack in February 2020 put a claim in for universal credit as a married couple along with sick notes filled out the uc 50 and got awarded lcwra I also get pip mid living and high mobility my wife gets carer's for me
Are we getting everything we are entitled to
We get universal credit lcwra pip and carers allowance
Calcotti has answered my question no other replies are needed TIA 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    In respect of DWP benefits you appear to have the maximum amount of money available to you.

If you have a complete NI record for 2018-19 and 2019-20 then you would eligible for new style ESA which is not means tested. If you claim this your income does not increase because the ESA is deducted from the UC. However the ESA is paid fortnightly and you get Class 1 NI Credits. Unlike UC, ESA is however taxable (but obviously this doesn’t matter unless you have other taxable income which takes you over your nil rate personal allowance).

Because ESA is not means tested it can be worth claiming if eligible because it protects you from a change of circumstance (such as inheriting money) which might end you UC entitlement.

The only other benefit is Council Tax Reduction which is applied for from your local authority. If you are liable to pay Council Tax this can reduce your bill - rules vary between councils.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mickymoo
    mickymoo Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Options
    @calcotti
    Thank you for your reply this all makes sense to me now I asked because you hear of people not getting everything they are entitled to but it appears I am so thank you very much
    No other replies are needed
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have just realised that although you did not mention it in this thread you said in another older thread that you are already getting Council Tax Reduction.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.