Hi, my name is monalynne! I'm on PIP. How can I have a loan? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is monalynne! I'm on PIP. How can I have a loan?

monalynne
monalynne Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
I am on pip how I can have a loan 

Comments

• monsieur
    monsieur Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    hello, you want a bank loan??
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

What sort of loan are you looking for 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @monalynne :) How are you doing today?

Yes, please do let us know what kind of loan you're looking to take out. This'll help us to answer your question.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Might also help to know what if any other benefits you are getting?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• monalynne
    I need loan for home stuff and new phone
  • monalynne
    I'm getting pip and universal credit
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Getting a loan depends a lot in your circumstances 

Like finances credit rating ability to repay 

If your income is only benefits you may struggle to get one 

Depends what benefits you are on as you may be able to get an advance 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    If your on universal credit you can get a loan off them if you say you need furniture and household things you have to do it over the phone 
  • Vidarsbane
    Vidarsbane Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    I know I'm very new to the forums but will try to help where I can.

To answer you, yes it is possible to get a loan while on benefits including Universal Credit and PIP. However it does depend a lot on your personal situation.

Can you afford a loan or credit? 

What is your credit history like, any trouble repaying things in the past?

Have you checked your credit score? Made sure all of your details are correct? 

How much can you comfortably afford to pay each month, how long do you want to be paying?

There are more questions of course that you need the answer to but these should start you off. Assuming it's all good your first port of call should be your bank. If you've been with them a long time they're the most likely to accept you. Also another factor on whether you get accepted or not depends on what the loan will be used for. Debt Consolidation or Home Repairs, are more likely to be accepted than a holiday or to make a purchase etc.

I hope this helps, though I'm certainly no expert.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Maybe a credit union loan might be an option?
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    I know I'm very new to the forums but will try to help where I can.

To answer you, yes it is possible to get a loan while on benefits including Universal Credit and PIP. However it does depend a lot on your personal situation.

Can you afford a loan or credit? 

What is your credit history like, any trouble repaying things in the past?

Have you checked your credit score? Made sure all of your details are correct? 

How much can you comfortably afford to pay each month, how long do you want to be paying?

There are more questions of course that you need the answer to but these should start you off. Assuming it's all good your first port of call should be your bank. If you've been with them a long time they're the most likely to accept you. Also another factor on whether you get accepted or not depends on what the loan will be used for. Debt Consolidation or Home Repairs, are more likely to be accepted than a holiday or to make a purchase etc.

I hope this helps, though I'm certainly no expert.
      You can have a Crisis loan which the council can arrange, as they already have access to any beneits you receive and if on UC will also have access to your rent and council tax payments.
      As said above normally for house hold stuff and improvements but if you need a phone for Medical contact access or for the benefits department to get hold of you they may also consider that.  You may not get the newest Z Phone but who cares its the contact with the outside world you want.
      I would definately stay away from people offering you loans as they will offer a loan, and if you ever are in trouble in paying will have no problem in taking you to court for the outstanding bill.  PLUS there is the interest, check it out.  Stick with the council I did its easier and can be taken out at source before benefits are paid to you.
     I'm no expert but have learnt from bitter experience. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.