Mobility allowance. Where could I get assistance with the form? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility allowance. Where could I get assistance with the form?

johndo
johndo Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi 
I get the PIP allowance at present due to my prosthetic arm. I also severe Asthma and reduced lung function, when my peak flow is low it severely restricts my mobility. I was looking at trying to claim the mobility part, but heard the form is a minefield and most likely refused if not completed correctly. Does anybody know where I could turn for assistance with this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You should get some expert advice before reporting a change of condition to check whether you will be entitled to any mobility part  Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • johndo
    thanks will have a look. Don't want to comprise things
  • poppy123456
    Thinking about this more, if you report a change of circumstances you won't just be sent the mobility part of the forms. You will be sent the whole form again, which would all need to be filled out, like you did before and then your whole award would be looked at again.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • johndo
    Ye that was an experience at the change over, full-blown interview then the wait to see is I would requalify.it would be good to hear from other that have severe asthma if they qualified.   
  • poppy123456
    You can't compare anyone else to yourself because we are all affected differently by these conditions. PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. You also need to be affected at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period.
  • johndo
    I understand that, but its how you complete the form knowing the criteria to give accurate description of disabilities. I've herd that people with eligible disabilities have been refused due inadequately portraying them in the form.  
  • poppy123456
    johndo said:
    I understand that, but its how you complete the form knowing the criteria to give accurate description of disabilities. I've herd that people with eligible disabilities have been refused due inadequately portraying them in the form.  

The only person that knows exactly how your conditions affect you is yourself but if you don't understand the criteria for the activity then reporting changes is a risk. Therefore you need to get some expert advice before you report any changes, otherwise you risk losing your current award. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @johndo - there are no people with 'eligible disabilities' as far as PIP goes. However, as you intimate, an understanding of the activities/descriptors certainly helps in completing a PIP form. Just to stress, as Poppy has said, PIP isn't about any diagnosis......imagine 20 people with severe asthma, which you mention; you will all be affected differently, & it's how this may impact on several activities of daily living, &/or mobility; literally how your disability affects you.
    No one can really tell you how to complete a form, & thinking there might be a 'right' way to do this is wrong...... you can only say how you are the majority of the time. You say when your peak flow is low this can severely affect your mobility, but you don't say how often this occurs. As Poppy says, you need to get some local expert advice before putting in for a change of circumstances.
  • johndo
    Problem don't where too get that. 
  • johndo
    Sorry didn't see Poppy's response. 
    Will look into that. 
    Thanks 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Unsure about your penultimate comment - here's a list of the descriptors that are looked at with PIP: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
    As Poppy has said look for a Welfare Rights officer, or see if there's a Citizens Advice near you. Search here: https://advicelocal.uk/   choosing 'Welfare benefits' from the drop down menu. Yes, great you'll look into this.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.