Executors role? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Executors role?

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
hi, someone has asked me to be an executor, one of four, of his estate and I’m wondering what I’d let myself in for if I agree.

Anyone had any experience of this and could offer any advice?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,988 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi I havnt got a clue personally but I have a link you might find useful below.
    https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/probate-solicitors/executor-pr-administrator-duties-explained/
     It gives information what you might be looking for 
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    If you agree to become an executor there are potential personal liabilities if you get things wrong ( for example you  don't pay liabilities or pay the wrong beneficiary etc) but there is little risk if you employ a solicitor to deal with the estate . That is the usual practice with executors as you don't usually need to deal with the legalities yourself.

It is usual to have two executors ( rather than four ) so I wonder if a trust had been included in the Will.

In most cases being an executor is straightforward as you are just instructing a solicitor to deal with the paying of debts and legacies. It only gets tricky if there is not likely to be enough in the estate to use a solicitor and the deceased has complicated affairs, such as they are self employed, debts or potential challenges to the Will as they have more than one family.

Hopefully the above does not put you off 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • leeCal
    Options
    Thanks @Sandy_123, I’ve read through a little and it’s quite a daunting role. I’ll do some more research. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thank you @Reg, the chap,involved has three properties, two of which are in London, he also has dual nationality so it could be that relatives exist in his mother country. I’m thinking this could get very complicated especially as not one of the potential four executors is a solicitor. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Reg
    Options
    Also, if he has dual nationality , he may have assets overseas and need a separate Will to deal with those assets.

It also sounds as if there could be inheritance tax issues because of the houses. 

Appointing four executors ( rather than the two needed ) may add to the potential for executor disputes.

You could always suggest the solicitors preparing the Will are appointed as joint executors with one or more of you.

If the person making the Will is not using a solicitor to prepare the Will then I would be rather wary of saying yes to the executor appointment as the Will may not be fit for purpose .

If you don't want to say no you can resign as an executor after the deceased has died but that would be a hassle for you . 

Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • leeCal
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thanks again @Reg, sounds like good advice. The joint executor with a solicitor sounds like a good idea actually. 

(The person did indeed use a solicitor to draw up the will.)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've only ever done it once and it was pretty straight forward but if I was ever asked again I would refuse as it can be time consuming.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was executor for my dads will . It was pretty straight forward though as everything just went to my mum 

I didn't use a solicitor they had drawn up the will but wanted to charge us 2.5k to put it to probate and sort all his affairs out 

After looking into it my brother and myself did it and the cost of probate was £80 this was 13 years ago 

But it was a very straight forward will and 1 beneficiary 

Your case will be far more complicated 
  • leeCal
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thank you @woodbine, having just read an Age UK booklet on the subject as well I am getting a sense of it being too involved for me and as you say time consuming. 

(https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/information-guides/ageukil8_how_to_be_an_executor_inf.pdf)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Reg
    Options
    @janer1967
    You are right - if it is very straightforward you do not always need a solicitor , especially as probate has gone online recently .

A friend got probate through in a week using the online service - all very easy.

@leeCal situation sounds more like a minefield ! 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • leeCal
    Options
    Thanks @janer1967, yes this seems very complicated and I’d hate to get any liabilities wrong. I do like the idea of a joint executor being a solicitor, and though it might be expensive I’m pretty sure that there would be enough to cover those fees.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Options
    @Reg said:
    situation sounds more like a minefield ! 
    I think you’re right, considering all things I think I might decline the invitation, I’ll sleep on it as they say.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Options
    Having spoken to the chap today I find that he has no intention of engaging a solicitor as a joint executor and so I have declined his offer.

thank you everyone for your input, very helpful 

― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.