Reward dates. How to appeal this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reward dates. How to appeal this?

Leigh14
Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
Today, I’ve received the dates, January 2021 to May 2024, this is for enhanced mobility. As my condition is never going to improve, but will get a lot worse, can I appeal the time frame. Is it possible to go for the longest. If so, what is the longest reward? Will my appeal mean my PIP be stopped until they decide?
Thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    You can appeal the award length only and the maximum length is 10 years. If you think you qualify for the daily living award as well then you can appeal both. Your current award will conitnue while you wait for the Tribunal hearing. I would also advise you to appear in person or have a telephone hearing, rather than a paper based decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Leigh14
    Thankyou @poppy123456. I didn’t realise it would be a tribunal!
    My pip assessment awarded zero points for daily living, and four points of mobility. The MR has given enhanced mobility, and six points for daily living. I shall have a look to see if I qualify for the extra two points. I’m just so grateful to get the mobility. 
  • poppy123456
    Yes a Tribunal because you've already done the MR stage. If you can get representation then even better. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Leigh14
    Thankyou. How long have I got to apply for this, a month?
  • poppy123456
    The maximum time is 13 months.
  • Leigh14
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Also i don't know if you're aware of this but when you appeal to a Tribunal, there's actually very little risk to your current award, if you appeal the daily living part.  If the Tribunal plan on reducing any award they will warn you before doing this. This then gives you the chance to cancel the appeal.
  • Leigh14
    So, I’ve decided to go for a longer reward. Sorry for my ignorance on this, but I have no idea how to proceed, or indeed how to even word it. Is there a form similar to the MR one? Do I simply write, if so, to whom? Can I simply ring?
    Thanks
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @Leigh14 - if appealing for a longer award length only, you will find Mike's comments as to how to word your appeal helpful in this post. Also as Poppy has mentioned try to get representation such as a Welfare Rights Officer. Please see: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/82842/id-like-to-dispute-the-award-length-only-how-long-do-i-have-to-do-this?

• Leigh14
  • chiarieds
    You're very welcome @Leigh14 - & if you specifically ask for the award length only to be looked at, there will be no risk to your current award. Do ask for 10 years, & good luck. :)
  • poppy123456
    Leigh14 said:
    So, I’ve decided to go for a longer reward. Sorry for my ignorance on this, but I have no idea how to proceed, or indeed how to even word it. Is there a form similar to the MR one? Do I simply write, if so, to whom? Can I simply ring?
    Thanks

What about the daily living part? Did you get some expert advice to see if you're entitled to it? Even if you do think you're entitled and appeal this as well as the award length, if there's any risk to your current award they do warn you before proceeding.
  • Leigh14
    I’ve been in severe pain for a few weeks now, so to be honest, I haven’t given any thought to any of it really. The pain isn’t anything to do with my disabilities, but I haven’t made a call for any advice etc. Before doing so, I’ll look to see if I myself could get another 2 points to get me the 8 points needed for daily living.
    I feel so doped up on strong painkillers, but today, I decided to get moving on the award business. 
    Thankyou again. Really appreciate all advice here.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to read that you've been in a lot of pain recently @Leigh14. Are you able to speak to your GP, or another professional, at all to discuss this? I hope the painkillers are helping a bit, even if you're getting some negative side effects from them too. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Leigh14
    Thankyou @Tori_Scope. I’m now 7 weeks in with the constant pain ?I’ve seen the GP, then took myself to A&E two weeks later. There I was told I have rotary cuff. Despite being dosed up on the painkillers and doing some arm exercises, the pain is excruciating. I’ve normally got a high pain threshold, but not with this!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's frustrating @Leigh14 :( Have they said how long the pain might last, or whether there's anything else you can try? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Leigh14 - just to jump in here about your rotator cuff injury. I know this can be incredibly painful having experienced this myself following my shoulder (& also wrist) being injured by another (my arm was forced up behind my back), resulting in one of my shoulder tendons being torn. Since then I've had 2 episodes of a 'partially frozen shoulder.'
    My point in writing is to say that, as a long-retired physio, I'm hoping you were referred to a physio for treatment. As far as exercise goes, if you haven't been given this to do, please try the following:
    Stand & put the foot of your unaffected side slightly forwards so you have a comfortable base. Lean forwards, letting your affected arm hang. Now swing your arm backwards & forwards within your pain-free arc. Do this gently for a couple of minutes. Next try moving your hand in a comfortable circle first one way, then the other. Gravity thus helps aid movement, & you can increase the range as you progress, always moving your shoulder within your pain-free arc. Don't push through the pain as this just increases the pain cycle. Try this a little & often throughout your day.
    This gentle gravity-assisted exercise helped me reduce the time I experienced pain with my 'partially frozen shoulder,' & was also something I had previously used to teach my patients as a physio student (getting better results than the then qualified physios, & patients in less pain). To me it was logical, but now seems to be accepted as the way forward. Please see the first exercise here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt0lkl1QTbA&t=17s     Hope this helps........worth a try?
  • Leigh14
    No, @chiarieds, physio wasn’t suggested. Well, it was by a GP that I spoke to over the phone, but without seeing me, I thought that would be jumping the gun, so I suggested strong painkillers. Two weeks later, I was seen by a different GP, who referred me for an x-ray, but didn’t know how long the wait would be (covid) After receiving the letter, an appointment had been made for 22nd October, but I couldn’t wait that long, which is when I took myself off to A&E. The Dr there told me straight away what it was, and very kindly put an exercise on utube for me. Reading what you’ve written, it’s very much the same. I have been doing it, well, mostly swinging of the arm. 
    I actually woke up in pain one morning, unlike the awful injury you suffered. Very glad to hear though that the pain gets better. It’s just taking so long!

Hi @Tori_Scope. As above, this is what the Drs have said. x

Thankyou both x
  • Leigh14
    Just to update, today I rang to speak to a welfare officer. The lady in question is only available at the beginning of the week, so hopefully I will receive a call next week. I shall also mention the daily living part with her too.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Leigh14 said:
    Just to update, today I rang to speak to a welfare officer. The lady in question is only available at the beginning of the week, so hopefully I will receive a call next week. I shall also mention the daily living part with her too.
    Thanks for the update, hope you receive the call :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.