I've been offered more hours at work. Would this affect my PIP? Are tax credits income based? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been offered more hours at work. Would this affect my PIP? Are tax credits income based?

Donna77
Donna77 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello Everyone, I'm new here. I have been offered to increase my working week by one day but at home to manage my conditions.  I receive pip and I wanted to know if this would impact things. They know I cannot manage into work but can work from home? Does anyone receive tax credits for having disabilities or is that income based? Any help is so appreciated so thank you.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Donna77

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Thanks for reaching out to us. I appreciate it can take courage to reach out for the first time. Well done for taking that first step!

If you wish to increase your working hours whilst on PIP, your PIP benefits will not be impacted by the number of hours you earn unless your job description contradicts your PIP. This is because PIP is not means-tested, PIP is instead based on the extra costs which are associated with having a disability. If your job description was to contradict your PIP, you could be asked to be re-assessed. If you wish to look into this further, you can find more information about PIP at https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/accept-job-when-claim-benefits/

According to the Government (https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit), you can claim for Working Tax Credit if you already get Child Tax Credit. You must also work a certain number of hours a week to qualify (which is calculated based on your circumstances). If you cannot apply for Working Tax Credit, you may look at applying for Universal Credit instead.  You might be able to apply for Pension Credit if you and your partner are State Pension age or over.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or need our support with anything else, please do not hesitate to let us know. I will look forward to hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Donna77 said:
     Does anyone receive tax credits for having disabilities or is that income based? Any help is so appreciated so thank you.

HI,
    Just to be clear on this, if you don't currently have a claim for tax credits then new claims are no longer possible. You would need to claim Universal Credit. Whether you qualify will totally depend on your circumstances. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=28b1fc03-5e79-469d-a997-fda4571f0b69

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If you wish to increase your working hours whilst on PIP, your PIP benefits will not be impacted by the number of hours you earn unless your job description contradicts your PIP. This is because PIP is not means-tested, 
    This is misleading. PIP has nothing to do with work and a job description has nothing to do with PIP entitlement. Entitlement to PIP is based solely on a claimants ability to carry out the prescribed activities to the required standard.  (The only exception is this diagnosed with a terminal illness which may lead to their death within six months.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Donna77
    Donna77 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much for responding. My conditions mean I cannot manage the same as others who are healthy. My work have recognised this and supported me by allowing me to wfh. The last thing I want is to trigger a reassessment when I'm just trying so hard to have some quality of life. I want to remain in work, to be honest its all I have left. Thanks for responding and trying to help as I'm not clued up on rights etc. Very kind so thank you.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all, 

I apologise @calcotti for any points which are in conflict with your own experiences and knowledge. However, that is the information Scope provides about PIP at https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/accept-job-when-claim-benefits/?_ga=2.243103682.1132981798.1632938220-203648702.1588053496&_gac=1.16691524.1632316046.Cj0KCQjwqKuKBhCxARIsACf4XuEFHRjekAq2KSFp5A2yJFK6MRhLUxkm5Y1dOZ8dxHku7yuUG8trtIEaAskcEALw_wcB. I think you and the article are both correct because your job description would typically only be in conflict with your PIP if you receive PIP for activities you cannot do but do these activities in your job. I hope this helps to clear things up! As always though, thanks for supporting one another with more personal insight. I always enjoy seeing the support you provide for each other  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    The point I take issue with is the implication that it is necessary to tell PIP about work. There is no requirement to tell PIP about work you do.
    https://www.gov.uk/pip/change-of-circumstances

If however your ability to do more work is because the impact your health has on you has lessened and this is also reflected in your ability to undertake the prescribed activities such that you would score fewer points affecting your entitlement then a change in condition should be reported.

Clearly however if there are contradictions between work done and the difficulties being stated when claiming PIP that will raise questions.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • L_Volunteer
    edited September 2021
    Hi @calcotti

Yes, sorry. There certainly seem to be some contradictions. Unfortunately, PIP is not my area of expertise which means I can only state and signpost you to the information available. In terms of benefits, my areas of expertise are related more to DLA and DSA. However, this is where the support you provide to one another is particularly invaluable. Thanks for offering new insights and highlighting contradictions. I am certain you all help each other to achieve the best possible outcomes. We will always try to facilitate a listening ear and a supportive space though  :)

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @L_Volunteer - just to add there's much information 'available,' & not necessarily (just) from Scope's information pages....PIP is certainly not about making 'sure your job description does not contradict your PIP claim,' as calcotti has been at pains to say. It won't be the first time that Scope's info pages have been incorrect (so no contradictions).
    Don't worry, calcotti has kindly kept me right on a couple of occasions (as have other members!), but it's important not to mislead the OP.
  • L_Volunteer
    Hi @chiarieds

Yes, you are right. There is lots of information available. We do always endeavour to provide information from trustworthy sources to enable us to provide the most accurate support we can. However, I apologise that you do not feel Scope's information about PIP was accurate at this time. I will get the link flagged up for you based on the information you have all contributed! :) Thanks again for informing us about this

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.