Will you be affected by the end of the furlough scheme? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will you be affected by the end of the furlough scheme?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
BBC: Covid: What will happen when furlough ends?

The furlough scheme, which protected millions of jobs during the pandemic, is being wound up at the end of September.

How did furlough work?

The government has been paying towards the wages of people who couldn't work, or whose employers could no longer afford to pay them, up to a monthly limit of £2,500.

At first it paid 80% of the wages, but in August and September it paid 60%, with employers paying 20%.

How many people are still on it?

The most recent figures show 1.6 million people were on furlough at the end of July - the lowest level since the start of the pandemic and 340,000 fewer than a month earlier.

The numbers dropped as the economy reopened. In May 2020, nearly nine million people were on furlough.

Will unemployment rise when it ends?

Some employers with workers on furlough may find they cannot afford to keep them on when furlough ends.

International travel, and other businesses which depend on it, are still seriously disrupted. Some furloughed workers in these areas may lose their jobs.

Many forecasters, including the Bank of England, are expecting a small rise in unemployment.

What if I'm made redundant?

If you were made redundant while on furlough, you have a number of legal rights. The selection process must be fair, you must be given notice, and you are entitled to tax-free redundancy pay.
You may also qualify for other financial help.

The main benefit for anyone losing their job after a period in work is jobseeker's allowance (JSA).

This is worth £59.20 a week, if you are under 25, or £74.70 a week if you are 25 or over.

If you need help with money matters, there is a host of free guidance and advice available, including:
In the wider jobs market, the number of vacancies is at a record high - so there are lots of employers looking to hire new workers.

What has furlough cost?

The government says 11.6 million jobs have been supported by the scheme.

From March 2020 to the end of September 2021, the cost of furlough will come to about £66bn, according to estimates from the Office for Budget Responsibility.

That's a huge sum, around one fifth of the money the government has spent on the response to Covid.

However, the scheme has undoubtedly helped to save millions of jobs.

At the start of the pandemic it was feared that more than one in 10 workers would become unemployed.

Instead the unemployment rate is currently less than one in 20.

You can read more about employee rights and coronavirus on Scope's website.

Will you be affected by the end of the furlough scheme? What impact do you think the end of the furlough scheme will have on disabled workers? 
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I think the good news is that there are around 1 million vacancies, so hopefully those affected by the end of furlough will find jobs, walking round our town centre today I was surprised at the number of shops/stores with jobs advertised in their windows, although I appreciate that many of those might be seasonal jobs.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Alot of people came off furlough when everywhere opend up some people list jobs because company's and shops closed there are lots of jobs out there now so people who want to work have a good chance of getting a job 

I did smile though my petrol station has been advertising for 12 weeks  two people applied one has already left and we still need more 

Brightness