What are you scared of? / Phobias — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are you scared of? / Phobias

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2021 in Coffee lounge
That isn’t as a result of a condition or disability? E.g. I’m scared of social situations but that’s as a result of a condition so doesn’t count.

I am scared of large spiders and insects in general.

I am also scared of military tanks, just don’t like them, not really sure why. I think that’s a reasonable fear though, so not a phobia!

I am scared of having to parallel park my car. Especially if a van full of builders are watching…

Finally I’m a nervous passenger when I’m being driven in a car. I keep that one to myself though, no one likes being told how to drive.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm scares of monkeys after visiting a zoo where they were running free and were fighting each other and running all round us 

Also scared of birds got attacked as a child by big raven 

Good thread @66Mustang
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I don’t like snakes or Komodo dragons, awful creatures. I find poplar trees depressing. I have a fear of being attacked whilst asleep too. I also have a fear of heights over eight feet or so. I don’t like tanks either, or sets of very sharp knives.

Oh and a fear of being buried alive. 

Well you did ask! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    One of the worst things I read about was that in cemeteries that had been bombed during the war there were many coffin lids with scratches on the underside  :s
    So yes, that would be one of mine!
    Don't have nightmares @leeCal  :D
  • leeCal
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Er....thanks @Cress ☹️

(Also a fear of being abducted by aliens, forgot that) ? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thanks everybody for sharing :)

Monkeys…I heard somewhere they can be more violent than lions if they are provoked so maybe they are a sensible thing to be scared of :o 

Sharp knives…same here - but that’s due to a condition for me - if it wasn’t for that I’d say knives are meant to be sharp, the sharper the better!

I can’t say I’m scared of being buried alive on a daily basis but it is something that would scare me if that makes sense? Do some people worry about that regularly? :o I bet it’s hard work to have to live with that worry.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Snakes and needles are my two main irrational ones I'd say. Heights and spiders too, but not as badly. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Cress
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I'm also never completely at ease when showering in an otherwise empty house...waiting for Norman bates or similar to drag that curtain back...lol

And I can't sleep with my arm or leg hanging over the side of the bed...never know what might be hiding under the bed..

Couldn't live in a house with a cellar...

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not frightened of much but heights scare me to death.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cress
    Options
    Never think of myself as claustrophobic but once visited caves in Derbyshire I think, and the way in was via a low narrow channel of water in a little rowing boat that was pushed along by the guide lying on his shoulders and using his feet against the very low roof to propell the boat...I managed ok on the way in but the thought of having to do that again to get out made me quite jittery, couldn't for the life of me go pot holing or caving...and the movie the descent always reminds me of it...scary..lol
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    Cress said:
    One of the worst things I read about was that in cemeteries that had been bombed during the war there were many coffin lids with scratches on the underside  :s
    So yes, that would be one of mine!
    Don't have nightmares @leeCal  :D
    Wow is that a thing?
     that actually happened??
    I'm scared of waking up during surgery.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I didn't think I had any, but just searched (not expecting it to be real), & there is actually llamaphobia! It's a branch of zoophobia/animal phobia apparently, which it seems a few of us have.
    I was visiting a zoo with my parents, when I was about 9 years old, & was wearing a green anorak. A llama approached, & other children were stroking them, which I also did, & was bitten on the inside of my elbow. I think {possibly) the llama thought something green looked like food. Anyway, it's teeth marks broke my skin, & I had a bruise in the shape of its teeth for a couple of months.
    Foolishly I told my son about this, & really not liking llamas, or anything that looks like them. Of course he would say, 'Oh do look at the TV' every time he saw them. The very name gives me shudders when the dratted creatures are mentioned in the animal word game here :'(
  • Cress
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Yeah, it actually happened...way back people would be buried with a string attached to their toe that would ring a little bell on the top of the grave in case it happened to them...some conditions where death seemed to have occurred when in fact they were still alive...
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Anything I can't control...  Which is most things tbh!

Fire is a big one though, I don't even like candles on a cake.  Fortunately I have an electric hob, not sure I'd be keen on a gas one! :neutral:
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,073 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh lots of things, heights, ? and things that go bump  in the night. Rats, mice. 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    boring one for me heights, but i hate them anything above twenty feet bothers me
    Heres one for the claustrophobic people, back in my college days i was in a special effects course and we had a guest tutor come in to do a demonstration of whole head casting, i volunteered to be the model, it involves having your whole head being covered with dental alginate, with only the nostrils left uncovered so you can breathe, then over the alginate a two part plaster bandage mother mould is made to support the alginate once the cast is removed from your head as its very flexible and needs support, well it turns out the tutor had only read about doing this process and ran out of the plaster bandage, so used straight casting plaster instead, so the alginate goes on, not bad like being inside a tube of toothpaste as its mint fragranced, then a pause and i'm wondering whats going on, my whole head is covered at this point, then i feel a weighty stuff being added on top, and it starts getting heavier and heavier, now making the two part mould is important so you can easily remove it from the model, usually you go the mid point of the head ear to ear, but no this guy covered my whole head with plaster with no seam, so i was basically the man in the iron mask at this point, couldn't move my head, and if the nostril holes had of moved i'd have been in real trouble, of course i had no idea what was going on i just heard muffled talking, then i felt a tapping on the outside of the plaster, it was a hammer and chisel, it took them nearly an half hour to get it off me, i didn't panic thank god, but i was gunning for the tutor when i came out of it, he had already run, with his tail between his legs before they had gotten it off me, so yeah, thats my tale! 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    I have been known to react quite defensively if someone comes at me with a hypodermic needle, I won't even allow my dentist to give me a local, but I did get both jabs.
  • leeCal
    Options
    Also I’m not keen on public speaking to say the least, however I have found it far easier when I’ve known the subject I need to speak about very well. 

Looking trough this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias I find I have way too many phobias! ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    Options
    OH Grinchy that really does sound terrifying. I don't think I could let anyone touch my head after that!!! 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Grinchy oh god I would of passed out I felt panicky when I read it I don't like my face covered I struggle wearing a mask hence why I do alot of online shopping 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Great answers everyone, Grinchy - great story and Mike’s answer made me laugh lol

Brightness