Hi, my name is Vickiann! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Vickiann!

Options
Vickiann
Vickiann Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have 2 disabled adult sons and we live yards apart in HA homes.
My sons suffer with a very rare hereditary genetic illness,they have part of their scull bone missing,have autism,partially sighted,tourettes,deprrssion and many other disabilities that go with Adam's Oliver syndrome. 
My eldest son lives in a disabled bungalow as he has no toes and is very unsteady on his feet as you can imagine ,a fall could be fatal.
So access to them both is paramount. 
The HA have a piece of grass separating our home and my sons bungalow. 
Crime has become rife here,with drug users,dealers,drunks,criminal activity etc and they locked a wooden gate that separated my son from us and refused many times to give us a key.
I begged I pleaded and even though the time it would save,getting to my son if he had s fall could mean life or death,they even got nasty and said no,all the other 12 tenants might want one which is ridiculous because they had no need of a key.
Yet they give it to 1 other tenant to get to a washing line.
She kindly let us make a copy.
They said walk around the block.
How utterly horrible and uncaring is that.
This is one of a catalogue of incompetence and so uncaring behavior. 
The drugs filter through Windows,nooks and cranny.
We found out very soon my son is allergic to the weed or whatever it is they are smoking,closes up his throat,he can't breathe etc.
The HA cant/won't waste their time and money helping us.
The local council can't help.
The area has become dire.
We want to live together so we can take care of our sons. 
Private rental is a mine field and so shaky,plus we can't afford the rent as well as dwp stopping my sons esa.
So we decided t save as much as we can,buy a little but of land and get a caravan or cabin.
We have now been made aware that the dwp can stop our benefits if we do that.
My husband is 72 and on pension credit and retired after a lifetime of hard work and suffering a heart attack.
The pressure is immense,the anxiety we are all suffering is overwhelming and never ending.
All we want is peace and quiet and to live together.
I have reached out and asked for help.
My son said he didn't want to be here anymore and if your children are suffering, you suffer too,no matter how old they are.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Vickiann

Welcome to the community, and thank you for telling us about what you and your family have been through, it appears as though it has been very challenging recently. I note that you have also been in contact with our helpline, so I hope the advice they have been able to give was helpful, particularly around the benefits.

Regarding the area where you all live, have you contacted police about the criminal activity? It sounds very concerning and quite unsafe, so I would advise either calling 101 or filling out an online report here, which you may find helpful so that you can go into as much detail as you'd like.

If you ever feel as though there is an emergency, either through the criminal
     activity or if any of your family require immediate support, please contact 999 right away. I note that you say your son doesn't want to be here anymore, which must be horrible to hear as a parent, has he sought any support for his mental health and how he is feeling at the minute? Likewise, do yourself or the rest of your family receive any support from your GP or other health professionals?

As mentioned, please utilise the resources sent to you by our helpline, however if you would like to explore additional support for yourself or your children, perhaps any services local to you, please get in touch with us at community@scope.org.uk and we'd be more than happy to look into this. Do any of your children receive any help from your local authority's social care team? Have they ever had a needs assessment? You can apply for a needs assessment here, and read further information about them on the NHS website.

Again, if any of your children want to contact us directly to see if there is any way we can support them, they can contact community@scope.org.uk.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Vickiann :) I just wanted to check in to see how you were doing since you last posted on the community. How have things been? Have you had a chance to take a look at Ross' comment above?

Please let us know whether there's anything we can do to help. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness