Back payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back payments

Options
Joanne99
Joanne99 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
Industrial injurys disablement  benefit  rang me said they have informed  esa of decision  so it dounds like it could of gone in my favour  i will get letter in a week or so im on income  related  esa will back pay be taken off me due to me bekng in income related esa anyone know ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi,

IIDB affects Income Related ESA and will reduce it £1 for £1, so yes any backdated money will likely be used to pay back what is owed for ESA because there will be an overpayment. If any part of your ESA is Contirbutions based then this will not be affected. See link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanne99
    Joanne99 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Options
    On telephone  to esa the advisor  said same pound for pound and any back pay  would likely to be paid directly  to me  havento wait and see
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Either way, you will have an overpayment for ESA. If the IIDB is not taken to pay it back then they will reduce your future ESA payments further. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.