Hi, my name is markisjackaswell12! I'm trying to understand my benefits more — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is markisjackaswell12! I'm trying to understand my benefits more

Options
markisjackaswell12
markisjackaswell12 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello everyone I am a carer for my 88yr old mum who I live with and came across this site trying to understand uc ca&ce combined and understand more now I'm divorced but have 3 children adults now I'm 58yrs old (sounds like I'm registering for a dating site?)

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you care for someone who receives a disability benefit you are entitled to receive the carer element in the calculation of your UC entitlement - unless you are entitled to the LCWRA element in which case you will not receive the carer element as you cannot receive both.

If you claim Carer’s Allowance it is paid separately from UC but your UC is reduced by the amount of CA you receive so your total income is unchanged.

You cannot claim CA if you work and earn more than £128/week. There is no earnings limit for the carer element of UC.

With CA you do get Class 1 NI credits whereas UC
    only gives Class 3.

CA is taxable income, UC is not. Obviously if your total taxable income would still be below the tax free allowance this doesn’t matter.

Hope that helps but if you have a more specific question please ask.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    reading about uc ca/ce total is £572 uc payments I claim also £275 rent will this be added on and what will uc take off?
    I am not clear what you mean, can you explain further?
    Given your circumstances your UC would include the standard allowance, the housing element (to help with rent) and the carer element. That will give a maximum amount. If you are claiming CA that will show as a deduction of £292.93/month.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.