Face Mask rules at GP Surgery — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Face Mask rules at GP Surgery

Jurph
Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
Good Afternoon everyone.

I'm struggling to help my Mum access her GP surgery. She cannot wear a face mask or face shield due to psychological distress caused by an attack in her childhood. We got her a sunflower lanyard and hasn't had a single issue anywhere else (the local hospital accepted her exemption).

She has serious medical issues and is steroid dependent meaning trips to the GP is necessary. She only goes out to get food shop/pharmacy. Her husband has Leukaemia and no immunity so she's super careful.

After a consultation with a GP on the phone, he asked for urgent blood tests (a previous one was cancelled due to the tube shortage) however, the GP surgery is a nightmare.

They insist on face coverings "even if you're exempt" which I thought was illegal? They refused to book her in because the nurse was vulnerable and wouldn't treat a patient who was maskless. She can't cope with raised adrenaline levels due to her medical issues so when she's confronted at the door, she shakes and can't cope with confrontation. The receptionist shouts from the desk for her to wait outside, then brings out a mask. Every visit is the same and all if this is on her notes.

I finally booked her in and went with her but I feel I shouldn't have to. I feel like she's being discriminated against and isn't receiving proper medical care. What can I do?
Tagged:

Comments

• TopB79
    TopB79 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Good Lord that’s awful. I’m disabled myself now and I actually suffer from shaking/confronting people !?….I definitely do think that is illegal but I’d personally google that tbf. Hope u and ur Mum are ok. There is help out there. 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I'm so sorry.

I think you need to complain, in writing, to the practice manager.  Every gp practice should have one.  State that your mum is exempt and tell them you are not happy with the attitude of the staff there, especially the attitude of the receptionist.

Good luck.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Is there more than one nurse? 

I can understand that nurse wanting to protect herself, she has just as much right as your mum does. 

However, I don’t believe it’s illegal, because it was only ever guidance wasn’t it? Therefore each business/organisation etc can have their own guidance. 
  • Jurph
    MarkN88 said:
    Is there more than one nurse? 

I can understand that nurse wanting to protect herself, she has just as much right as your mum does. 

However, I don’t believe it’s illegal, because it was only ever guidance wasn’t it? Therefore each business/organisation etc can have their own guidance. 
    What if that guidance denies my Mum medical care?
  • Jurph
    TheAlien said:
    I'm so sorry.

I think you need to complain, in writing, to the practice manager.  Every gp practice should have one.  State that your mum is exempt and tell them you are not happy with the attitude of the staff there, especially the attitude of the receptionist.

Good luck.
    Thank you.

They claim there's no exception. Even the sign outside says you must wear one even if exempt.
  • Jurph
    Here's the sign on the door
  • MarkM88
    Jurph said:
    I’m not saying it’s the right way to go, however if a healthcare professional is vulnerable too they have every right to protect themselves and still work just like everyone else. 

That’s why I asked if there was another nurse. 

Only other thing ai can suggest is officially complaining to the practice manager. 
  • Jurph
    MarkN88 said:
    Jurph said:
    I’m not saying it’s the right way to go, however if a healthcare professional is vulnerable too they have every right to protect themselves and still work just like everyone else. 

That’s why I asked if there was another nurse. 

Only other thing ai can suggest is officially complaining to the practice manager. 
    Thank you. Yes, there was another nurse but it took a further 2 weeks to get an appointment.
  • MarkM88
    I would imagine that, that might be the best option, because not only do they have a duty of care for their patients but they also do for their staff too. 

I would still issue a complaint through the practice manager too. 

I know they have said previously that if patients refuse ti wear masks or can’t wear them then they should aim to deal with the patient remotely if they can and clinically feasible. However, bloods obviously can’t be done over the telephone/internet, so your mum is going to have to be seen, they need to understand that. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,718 Disability Gamechanger
    I have that problem too with my practice and unless the mask on you can't get in the door. Unike your mom tho I can just put it on and take it straight off after. As others have said it's best to speak to the practice manager. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Jurph

Even if it were, the key sentence in that article would be

“Patients in all care areas should still be encouraged and supported to wear a face mask, providing it is tolerated and is not detrimental to their medical or care needs.”

The key here is that you legally cannot have a blanket policy; current guidance refers to what I refer to above i.e. the need for a risk assessment. 

Thank you. I saw the Government guidance which still says "wear a mask unless exempt" - something we've always known. I just don't know how the GP can go against that.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    In wales we still have to wear masks in alot of places including hospitals and gp surgery's 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I can understand people who have been double jabbed are getting corona  virus  people just want to feel safexi don't have to wear one  but I always do my sister in law and brother have it my brother is 56 and my sister in law 46 both very poorly 
  • MarkM88
    In wales we still have to wear masks in alot of places including hospitals and gp surgery's 
    Yes, but exceptions still apply. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    MarkN88 said:
    Yes, but exceptions still apply. 

Yes indeed they do. I was in Wales at the beginning of September visiting family and friends and my daughter and myself are both exempt, wearing the lanyard there were no problems.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkN88 my drs surgery wether your exempt or not you still have to have a face mask and the hospital I go to 
  • MarkM88
    @MarkN88 my drs surgery wether your exempt or not you still have to have a face mask and the hospital I go to 
    Well I’d love to know how they would respond if they refused to treat someone because they are excempt and they die. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited October 2021
    In that particular incidence I’d say for your mums sake and that of her husband could she not tolerate the masks for the time it takes to get blood tests?
    I know you say she suffers anxiety wearing the mask but she may possibly be just as anxious about not getting the tests she needs.
    I can understand problems if one had to wear masks for long periods, but is it really that traumatic for someone to wear one for ten minutes or so?
    genuine question. I’m prepared to be shot down… :)

I felt so sorry for my dentist, who obviously had to work in such close proximity to patients not wearing masks and going home to her young daughter each day.

• Lisatho11987777
    I wear my mask to protect others I couldn't live with myself if I wasn't wearing a mask and I passed corona virus onto someone else 

Teachers and schools complained that masks should be still worn in schools the consequences now is thst schools are haveing to close becsuse staff and children have corona virus my sister in law is a teaching assistant and tested positive for corona virus on Monday  and is poorly my brother tested positive on Wednesday and is asthmatic 

I don't  have to wear a mask but I do  and I  think I always will 

Brightness