I'm confused about why I've been told I won't get any money backdated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm confused about why I've been told I won't get any money backdated

suzanne1969
suzanne1969 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Citizens advice told me to apply for limited capability for work and sent in my first sick note in March, I then got my assessment in June and was awarded it, also been told by them the money would be backdated, a lot of back and forth and then being told my sick notes weren’t handed in on March but may, obviously disputed this as the proof was in my journal, then my case was sent over to the decision maker, got the extra money in September but was then told I won’t get any money backdated, a bit confused as this has been going on for months and my first sick note was sent over in March. 
Kind regards 
Suzanne [removed by moderator - full name]

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    There's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time and then payment starts from the 4th month of your claim. Whether any money is owed will depend on the exact dates of your assessment period or the date you first appplied for UC? Also what date did you first report your health condition? The fit note must then be sent within 7 days after reporting the health condition.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • suzanne1969
    my first sick note was sent in on 24/03/2021, it was accepted, my assessment was done in June, after waiting a few months someone from UC said the first sick note wasn’t sent in til may, obviously I disputed this and all the evidence is in my journal, the woman from citizens advice who was helping me got in touch with them a few months later and we were told it has been sent over the decision maker if I am entitled to any backdated money. The woman from citizens advice then informed me last week I’m not. But was originally told I was. Am really confused and frustrated. Been told one thing and another. Thx 
  • poppy123456
    Was this your first work capability assessment? and was the decision definitely LCWRA and not just LCW?
     If it was defnitely LCWRA the extra money should be paid from either June or July.
    As advised, it depends on the dates of your monthly assessment periods. (or when exactly you first started your claim for UC) because there's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • suzanne1969
    Yes it was lcwra, I received the extra £300 + for the first time last month. The big confusion was the March I handed the first sick note then it was accepted then later on someone said it was may, but all the evidence is in my journal. 
    Thx 
  • poppy123456
    You still haven't answered the question of what date exactly you first claimed UC. Without knowing this i can't tell you exactly when you should receive the LCWRA element from.
  • suzanne1969
    It had been with the decision maker for 3 months, I haven’t officially heard from UC that I’m not getting backdated money but from the woman from citizens advice. She apologised for any confusion, have messaged IC but still nothing 
    thx 
  • poppy123456
    I've asked a few times now, what date exactly did you first claim UC? unless you answer that then i can't help you any further.
  • suzanne1969
  • poppy123456
    This means that your monthly assessment periods (AP) are from 5th to 4th of the month. If you reported your health condition on the same date you sent the fit note then this would be in AP dated 5th April -4th May. so your waiting periods are as follows.
    5th April -4th May, 1 month
    5th May - 4th June 2 months
    5th June - 4th July 3 months
    LCWRA element starts from 5th July - 4th August and payments will be paid from 10th August. If you've received 1 payment already then that is correct and they don't owe you any more money.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    poppy123456 said:..If you reported your health condition on the same date you sent the fit note then this would be in AP dated 5th April -4th May. 
    I think you meant 5th march to 4th April (which then gives the waiting period and payment date as you set out).
    poppy123456 said:..payments will be paid from 10th August. If you've received 1 payment already then that is correct and they don't owe you any more money. 
    Would expect two payments to date 10th August and 10th September.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    @calcotti yes that’s what I meant. Thanks for that.
  • suzanne1969
    So am I on the understanding as this is all confusing am I owed any backdated money 
    thx 
  • poppy123456
    As advised you're entitled to the LCWRA element from your payment on 10th August, you're not entitled to any extra money before this date.
    This is because there's a 3 full month assessment period waiting time and you sent your fit note in assessment period dated 5th March - 4th April which doesn't count. The waiting period for you starts from AP 5th April - 4th May as advised here.
     your waiting periods are as follows.
    5th April -4th May, 1 month
    5th May - 4th June 2 months
    5th June - 4th July 3 months
    LCWRA element starts from 5th July - 4th August and payments will be paid from 10th August. If you've received 1 payment already then that is correct and they don't owe you any more money.

• poppy123456
    Yes it was lcwra, I received the extra £300 + for the first time last month.
    I note that you did recieve the extra money last month so you're not owed any extra money. You will continue to receive the extra £343 in your future payments.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @suzanne1969 :) Welcome to the community! I hope that the above comments have helped you to understand your situation a little better. Please do let us know if you have any further questions. 

Just to let you know, I removed your last name from your post, in accordance with our house rules. This is for the safety of both yourself and others. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Yes it was lcwra, I received the extra £300 + for the first time last month.
    I note that you did recieve the extra money last month so you're not owed any extra money. You will continue to receive the extra £343 in your future payments.
    Payment should be due from August as you said so if ‘last month’ refers to September there is one payment missing.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Ah yes, i forgot we are now in October.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @suzanne1969.
    I can see both @calcotti and @poppy123456 have given you lots of great advice already but I know that all these dates and things can be confusing. 

From the information you've provided and Poppy's calculations, you should have received the extra LCWRA element in your August 10th payment and your September 10th payment. If you've only received one of these you may be entitled to the other one backdated. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.