Cooking and preparing food descriptor - how can I prove it? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cooking and preparing food descriptor - how can I prove it?

NeverGiveUp8104
NeverGiveUp8104 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Can I ask advice about question of cooking 
my partner was scored 2 saying prompting was needed when I said can’t cook at all.
My partner has full use of her legs and arms but physically can not cook because the kitchen is a distressing place.
Smells, noise, heat, multi things on the go.
My partner will not come out of the bedroom at all, I have to illuminate food smells as equivalent as possible to, I even have to wash the dishes as quiet as possible. 
Sometimes I just don’t even cook as I need a rest mentally myself so eat a takeaway and just battle getting the smell out. 
You know my partner has never even opened the fridge door in the 24 years we have been together … Honestly never even switched the kettle on. 

Her diet is also very poor, very beige foods and has no desire for food at all doesn’t feel hunger ( sensory issue )
Doesn’t ask for food 
Also if the food doesn’t look right it will be turned away,
will not and never has eaten veg, fruit, dairy, 
even the colour of bread has to be perfect 
only lives off water and has to be bottled 
if I change the brand she tastes it and won’t drink it 
I even have to make sure water is there in a glass near her as she has no desire to think “ I’m thirsty “

So on the cooking where do you think she should be scoring as I’m sure it must be more than 2 points just on this alone???

25 minutes ago
Tagged:

Comments

• NeverGiveUp8104
    Hi my partner was turned down for PIP by an assessor 2 years ago scoring zero points and losing the lower daily living.
    Went on to lose the MR but the same month had an ESA reassessment and 1 week after that we got a phone call to say based on that assessment they were granting the PIP back same amount 
    we didn’t get chance to go to tribunal.
    shortly after that my partner had been sent for a private autism assessment and was diagnosed with autism with very unusual sensory.
    Never leaves the house without me, will never go anywhere she is known to people local, noise, smells, never feels hunger etc 
    there is loads and loads including a fear of the bath 
    anxiety 
    won’t allow me to let anyone in the home 
    the list goes on 
    I’ve always known something was more than just anxiety and we finally got answers.
    I believe my partner should be on more than the lower daily living but because of the anxiety I never chased it.
    2 years later I’ve phoned and asked do I need to make a new claim but they said no write it in an MR but I thought you could only do this after 1 month 
    I have the full autism report which they haven’t seen and a diagnosis 
    I am aware btw that diagnosis isn’t what is gone off but I know it will prove finally how bad things are.
    Im just confused as I thought a new claim pack would be needed 
    They have relooked at the claim since the new law change on journeys but they kept it as it is and I know it’s wrong and always has been 
    I don’t know what to do.
    what if I send an MR and they don’t accept it?
  • NeverGiveUp8104
    If confused I do speak to the DWP on my partners behalf and fill the forms etc
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Can you clarify when the original decision to award PIP was made?

Do be aware that PIP is based on how the claimant is affected, not on a diagnosis.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    If the original decision was made more than 13 months ago then you are out of time to challenge the decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • NeverGiveUp8104
    Can I ask advice about question of cooking 
    my partner was scored 2 saying prompting was needed when I said can’t cook at all.
    My partner has full use of her legs and arms but physically can not cook because the kitchen is a distressing place.
    Smells, noise, heat, multi things on the go.
    My partner will not come out of the bedroom at all, I have to illuminate food smells as equivalent as possible to, I even have to wash the dishes as quiet as possible. 
    Sometimes I just don’t even cook as I need a rest mentally myself so eat a takeaway and just battle getting the smell out. 
    You know my partner has never even opened the fridge door in the 24 years we have been together … Honestly never even switched the kettle on. 

Her diet is also very poor, very beige foods and has no desire for food at all doesn’t feel hunger ( sensory issue )
    Doesn’t ask for food 
    Also if the food doesn’t look right it will be turned away,
    will not and never has eaten veg, fruit, dairy, 
    even the colour of bread has to be perfect 
    only lives off water and has to be bottled 
    if I change the brand she tastes it and won’t drink it 
    I even have to make sure water is there in a glass near her as she has no desire to think “ I’m thirsty “

So on the cooking where do you think she should be scoring as I’m sure it must be more than 2 points just on this alone???
  • NeverGiveUp8104
    Sorry if it looks confusing I’ve copied and pasted this from my other post 
  • NeverGiveUp8104
    edited October 2021
    Just a question about one of the descriptors 
    cooking & preparing food.
    although I have always tried to explain to the DWP that my partner CAN NOT cook due to distress, they have put it down as scoring 2 ( prompting )
    my partner did only have a diagnosis of anxiety but is now verified ASD with very unusual sensory.
    I am very aware that diagnosis means nothing and how it’s based on daily living etc
    I’m wondering if now we have proof of the distress caused they will believe me.
    so basically, noise, smells, heat etc cause significant distress 
    example my partner never comes near the kitchen while I’m cooking and I mean she stays in the bedroom and I have to be as quiet as possible ( not to bang & clang )
    I have to get rid of all food smells before she comes out
    ( Although my partners diet is very poor, beige foods wise, I do have children who eat other stuff which does smell )
    My partner has never even opened the fridge or food cupboards and could not even tell you what’s in there. Never switched the kettle on and never made me a brew haha 
    jokes aside it’s reality.

Anyway how do I go about explaining to them that although my partner is blessed to have full use of arms and legs that can not cook is the absolute truth, because I can’t prompt at all it’s just never ever going to happen and it’s not because of laziness … Really can’t cope with that particular room I can’t even explain the distress 
    yes the fear of me not being here in the future is scary too as I’m very much needed. 
    TBH it’s actually stressful for me as I have to tip toe and clear smells.
    If we didn’t have children I would honestly never even use it myself for the peace and less distress 

This is just one of the many daily issues I have to cope with as to helping my partner 
    another is nutrition 
    living off bread, biscuits & crisps etc and never feels hunger. 
    I’m guessing as it was down as just anxiety ( more mental health ) it was scored down 
    would a now clear diagnosis of an actual disability help them to believe it really is as I tell them.

sorry for the long rant but it’s just so hard to get heard and it’s real 
  • NeverGiveUp8104
    Hi yes that was me but no answered that particular question 
    sorry if I seem confusing I’m be to this Scope 
    I just want help as I can’t have support due to my partner not wanting strangers in her life or anyone in the house so I’m trying to break down just one example 
    I mean I’m confident my partner scores more than 2 on this one alone but it’s so hard to get a stranger to listen and I’m on my own trying.
    I would love nothing more than get someone to help me with this but the ones I’ve asked want to go through my partner, come to my house or at least meet my partner to give consent 
    my partner will do none so is reliant on me and on my own 
    I’m just trying to educate myself 

So again I feel my partner scores more than 2 but I feel this question seems to only be for physical disability and the only ones that qualify for CAN NOT cook are the ones who have no use of limbs 
    ( So sorry if I insult anyone in the scenario I really don’t mean too ) 
    but honestly who is classed as CAN NOT COOK 
    has anyone with autism scored more than 2 
    my partner would starve to death than be on a kitchen 
    This is just one of the questions I’m finding hard 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.