Does anyone know of any free courses on how to structure a novel, write sketches, or blog? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone know of any free courses on how to structure a novel, write sketches, or blog?

Daniel_2021
Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi,
I saw an opportunity on here about 5 people being mentored into writing a book.
I'm currently writing a blog - entries mainly seem to be when i'm angry or sad so not the most uplifting thing to read!
I have mental health issues so my mind constantly has "noise" in it and I seem to take in minor details and miss the more important. Occasionally the benefit of this is it lends itself to comedy which I turn into a short video mainly for my wife or write a short sketch.
Until now I've never had any desire to attend a writing course or take this any further but since becoming wheelchair bound i'm desperately seeking something I can do that allows me to use this "mind noise" and turn it into something positive. I feel like I've lost so much that it'd be nice to gain something new that's positive.
Does anyone know of any courses (free) on how to structure a novel or sketches? Even support writing a regular blog and where to publish it.
This isn't about me becoming the next big thing or anything, I think it might be a good coping mechanism for me, currently i'm not coping so why not cast a wide net and see what happens?
Thanks,
A very rambling Daniel 

Comments

• MissMarple
    MissMarple Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    The Reedsy youtube channel has lots of videos on every aspect of writing, you might want to check it out.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I've just sent mine off the dead line is 12 midnight tonight for the book mentor
  • MissMarple
    Good luck @Sandy_123 What kind of story did you write?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Daniel_2021

Thanks for your post. I am glad @Cher_Scope's post about the writing opportunity inspired you to think about how you could channel some of your creative energy into positive outcomes. Your sketches and videos sound great. As @MissMarple rightly said, YouTube can be a great place to learn how to structure novels and sketches. In addition to YouTube, there are often lots of excellent free courses on Coursera, Skillshare and the Open University (to name just a few). I hope these recommendations help! I would be interested in hearing how you get on if you would like to share more information with us about the work you enjoy.

Also, I know I have already said it in another post but good luck @Sandy_123! I am wishing you all the best and I am looking forward to hearing from you about how you get on with it if you would like to share your progress with us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Sandy_123
    Thanks @MissMarple and @L_Volunteer it it a novel, part of one that I had been working on.  I'm impatient to see what they thought, I've had email to say they'll be in touch next week.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Daniel_2021

It's great to hear that you are finding positive outlets to channel your thoughts in to, these sorts of hobbies and interests can be really beneficial for well-being so I hope everything continues to go well for you and it makes things easier to cope with.

You mentioned that currently you are not coping, and I'm sorry to read that. Are you referring to your mental health when you say this? I'm not sure if you receive any support to manage your mental health, but it might be worth speaking with your GP about how you feel if things are quite challenging for you at the minute. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hello to Scope online  community 
    I don't know told you I have also applied on Friday for the writing mentoring opportunity that posted on the scope community   
    I would like to wish Sandy the best of luck and anyone else who may have applied for the opportunity 
    I also received an email from them saying they will email a decision next week I also can't wait to hear back from them I keep checking emails  Sandy I know how your feeling 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• MissMarple
    Good luck to you too @Globster. What is your story about?
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    A young girl called Sally, who had a great passion for playing cricket from a young age while getting a education and carry on her cricket injury  and looks to inspire young girls to follow in playing cricket as she was going into coaching young girls play cricket

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Sandy_123
    @Globster fingers crossed for you, hopefully we both get  lucky
  • Globster
    @Sandy_123
    I have my fingers crossed for you Sandy 123 I hope we are both get lucky too

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Hi @Daniel_2021 would you mind sharing your blog? I'd love to have a read! I've found blogging to be very cathartic and helping me process a lot of things in terms of my recovery. A lot of disabled people use blogging as a platform to raise awareness :)
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Try WEA, they have many online classes in a variety of subjects, fees are subsided for those on benefits etc
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • Daniel_2021
    @Ami_Host Hi Ami, I hope you are doing well, thanks for this and your other message.
    I'd be happy to share it privately, I don't know if you can private message on here or not?
    Just to give you a taste of where i'm still at I wrote a little poem at 02:00 this morning called "It's not okay". I promise I do have some times in the day where i'm pleased with some of my progress or achievements but the progress is so slow it's a bit frustrating.
    On an entirely positive note just so people know I'm not the Bob Dylan depressed figure I managed to visit my favourite tree at the weekend (everyone has a favourite tree don't they?...opens new forum). Well this tree is over 1000 years old, I just get such a possitive vibe when I see it and uplifted from nature in general. It motivates me to write more uplifting things (still on my to-do list) but it always leaves me feeling at peace. Anyway I slightly veered off in my response then but thanks again.
    Daniel 
  • Daniel_2021
    @nannymaroon Hi, thanks so much for this link. I'd not come across it before but it seems fantastic. I'm amazed that there are so many amazing things to get involved in or help you develop that you have never seen publicised or promoted. I need to spend some time looking at all the courses but just by putting my postcode in over 1000 courses came up ranging from support with English to ICT.
    Thanks again,
    Daniel 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Hi @Daniel_2021 I'm sorry for the delay in replying, I will send you a private message :)

Brightness