Forced to work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Forced to work

Star12
Star12 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Therese coffey is going to make people work in the esa support group including myself I'm not happy I won't cope with a normal job can't even cope with myself this inhume 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    That's the first i've heard of this. Those that are in the Support Group do not have to look for work or prepare to look for work. Can you provide a link as proof to this please?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Star12
    It is you look on the Internet it was on the news 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    Where's the link as proof? Without a link as proof it is your opinion and not a fact.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Star12
    Look on. The intrenet therese coffey getting people on esa to work 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Star12 :) 

Was it an article like this one from the Mirror that you'd read? If so, please try not to worry. From reading the article, there don't appear to be any plans in place to force people in the Support Group into employment. It seems as though Therese Coffey was talking more broadly about her thoughts on 'encouraging' unemployed disabled people to enter employment, rather than announcing a new policy. Has that put your mind at ease a little? 
    can't even cope with myself
    I was also just wondering what you meant by this? Have you been finding things difficult recently?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Star12
    It is from the mirror yes
  • Star12
    Not really if she trying to encourage people and she will bring that plan I to place soon 
  • poppy123456
    Ah yes, in the "daily mirror" i'll say no more then. The answer to this is don't believe everything you read in a newspaper...
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Tori_Scope said:..It seems as though Therese Coffey was talking more broadly about her thoughts on 'encouraging' unemployed disabled people to enter employment, rather than announcing a new policy. 
    Which is a longstanding stated policy of providing support for disabled people to move into employment. Supporting people, encouraging people or requiring people are completely different things.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Star12
    What my mp said but it doesent mean that the won't do it sometime in the future 
  • poppy123456
    It's already been said, that it's not going to happen.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Coffey is perhaps the worst sec state at the DWP we have ever seen, she is marginally worse than IDS and Labours James Parnell, interviewed during the tory conference she was asked how many children would be pushed into poverty after the £20 uplift was removed and she hadn't a clue, the answer by the way is largely acknowledged to be around 800,000.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.