DLA with no diagnosis yet? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA with no diagnosis yet?

mbee
mbee Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello I have been advised by my health vistor to apply for DLA for my son who is 2 and a half we are awaiting on referral to community pediatricians as he has traits of Autism, has anyone been through this process that could give a little advice? 
Thank you!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    A child does not need a diagnosis to be able to claim DLA, you just need to prove he needs more care and attention than that of a child the same age that doesn't have a disability. Although it may not be easy with a child under 3 because they usually need more care anyway at that age. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/disability-living-allowance/before-you-claim-dla/check-if-you-can-get-dla/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mbee
    Hello @poppy123456
    Thank you for the link, i was thinking this myself has anyone on here had any success of a claim in a child under 3? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It would be impossible to compare another child to yours because we are all affected differently by these conditions. If it was me then i'd be getting further expert advice, for this start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rusty_fish
    rusty_fish Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    @mbee We are in the same situation as yourself and have just been declined for DLA citing 'normal' for an under 3. How are you getting on? 
    we are looking into appealing any help would be appreciated
  • mbee
    Hi guys I have not been on here from I last posted, update for those asking, he was awarded DLA high care component and said I should apply for for mobility part when he turns 3, he's 3 already and I have been sent the forms and awaiting a decsion, hwe have waited almost a year to be seen by paediatrics and his first appointment is next week, he doesn't have a diagnose as of yet and was still awarded, I would appeal your decision, and try to explain why your child needs more care and support etc than another child their age
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing that update @mbee :) I hope the appointment goes well next week!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.