It's gonna be a hard winter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

It's gonna be a hard winter

Options
nannymaroon
nannymaroon Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
SoBoris has warned us all about the coming winter being hard due to high fuel bills, food shortages in shops, more petrol supply problems and power cuts.
Am I being over dramatic by admitting that I'm worried??
How should we prepare??
It's easier to be nice🙂

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Power cuts! Really?

ill start burning the furniture I guess. ??? unless there’s a shortage of matches!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't have a fire place so I will not be able to keep warm, unless i just make a big fire in the middle of my sitting room.
    Good idea Yes?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think our winters are milder then what they used be. At least we don't get ice on wooden window frames any more and little snow. Unless we're having a severe snow storm I've not heard of. 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
          Best thing I ever bought was my multi stove, I use solid fuel, never wood. I buy a quarter ton of fuel and it lasts me  through winter, no need for radiators at all. If it does come to power cuts I can always bake potatoes in the ashes  :)
  • nannymaroon
    Options
    I still have a lot of my lockdown food stored away I was lucky to think ahead in Feb 2020.
    I only have electricity at my home so a power cut will knock out heating, cooking and hot water. I have a camping stove that runs on blue gas canisters. I've bought a couple of extra cans of gas's from Amazon. If I can boil a kettle for a hot water bottle and a cuppa life might be bearable during a power cut.
    I've also stocked up on batteries for torches etc.

I didn't panic buy I just got an extra product each time I did a grocery shop
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I do need a   ?  could also buy disposable bbq it won't do a 3 course meal but chuck some marinated chicken breast on it.  If worse came to worse. I do have gas tho for cooking.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I need slippers too ?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Where’s the link to the source of expected power cuts? 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A single malt for me. :)

In all seriousness I try not to worry about what is "threatened" to happen, and just get on with things.

I admit I did say the same thing when some virus was knocking about, then a pandemic happened :D, but generally the mindset has worked for me.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It does look like this is going to be a very difficult winter for all of us, as for power cuts they do seem to be a possibility, but to get to the reasons for that you will have to do your own research.
    But one thing I know for certain is that those of us of a certain age will take it as it comes, having lived through the dark and dismal says of the 1970's, I do wonder how well younger people will deal with it.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm already feeling it I have no heating my thermostat and control panel is dead 

Reported it early Sept they came out within 3 days but needed new one ordering

Now not coming out till next week to fit and as weather turned cold recently I'm managing by lots layers and blanket 

Good job it not really cold yet
  • nannymaroon
    Options
    woodbine said:
    It does look like this is going to be a very difficult winter for all of us, as for power cuts they do seem to be a possibility, but to get to the reasons for that you will have to do your own research.
    But one thing I know for certain is that those of us of a certain age will take it as it comes, having lived through the dark and dismal says of the 1970's, I do wonder how well younger people will deal with it.

Yep I remember the 3day weeks of the 70's and the power cuts. We sat around the dining table by candle light and a paraffin heater. It was awful.
    Not quite Dickensian but grim and cold.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • nannymaroon
    Options
    MarkN88 said:
    Where’s the link to the source of expected power cuts? 
    It's been all over the media for the past month. A simple Google search should be enough.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    It's been all over the media for the past month. A simple Google search should be enough.
    No need to be patronising. It’s easier to post a link if your going to mention something. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Where I live in my village we have already had 12 power cuts over last few months Internet goes down frequently and we are always haveing floods lol 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:.. those of us of a certain age will take it as it comes, having lived through the dark and dismal says of the 1970's, I do wonder how well younger people will deal with it.
    Even so, with the much more intensive use of electronic technology in our lives the impact of power cuts could be rather greater.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:.. those of us of a certain age will take it as it comes, having lived through the dark and dismal says of the 1970's, I do wonder how well younger people will deal with it.
    Even so, with the much more intensive use of electronic technology in our lives the impact of power cuts could be rather greater.
    True although I for one would welcome a few hours break from the internet etc.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    Its not just technology that a power cut now would impact, in the 70s most people had a coal fire, some with a back boiler for hot water very few houses had central heating, and we didn't rely on freezers as much for storing food either.

I'll be keeping my mobile tech fully charged just in case.  If we do have power cuts I'll be left with no heating, not hot water and no means of cooking.  Plus I live in a cold damp council flat.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    153 my electric is going up or gone up  and I don't know about gas eek
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Sandy_123 wow that's a lot but if you insist on living in a castle lol 

Brightness