epilepsy and cataract surgery - do I have to be seizure free? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

epilepsy and cataract surgery - do I have to be seizure free?

Crazyraven
Crazyraven Community member Posts: 18 Connected
I desperately need cataract surgery, which is usually done with a local anesthetic, for years I've been refused, doctors saying it's too risky, despite my saying that I had locals before, can stop seizures with Diaz.  Finally got my preop assessment July, but they want to give me a general with a night's stay in hospital which is impossible at this time (and the hospital's in an area which triggers my cPTSD and I hate).  I don't have convulsions, it's focal with some awareness.  My dentist's never had any problems-last week asked around several private clinics but they want me to be seizure free for 3 months to 2 yrs, which is impossible for anyone to guarantee.  Has anyone else had this issue?  How have you managed it?

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Crazyraven good luck if you have your operation. I think  the best people are the drs who are doing your op who can advise you on this, tell them how you feel and you can both come to a plan. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    My son who has epilepsy has had local anesthetic and also general...but the hospital have always refused sedation.

Also because of his epilepsy he was unable to have to have a general at our local hospital, had to go elsewhere.

They've always been happy to put him under as long as he's been fit free for the previous few days.

We've had an anaesthetist who wasn't happy to do it himself and suggested another in his place ...they are and have to be very careful with this and I would go with whatever the anaesthetist recommended, they know what's best for you.
    Good luck.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    As a person with epilepsy I have had general in the past, and local 3 times in the last year and despite my epilepsy being severe it has not been a problem.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness