Help with pip. I missed the call, and was told I'll have to reapply. Is this normal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with pip. I missed the call, and was told I'll have to reapply. Is this normal?

Options
jc_3242
jc_3242 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited February 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,

I applied for PIP back in May. Form came out In the post few weeks later. Due to the nature of my conditions I ended up forgetting to fill it in before the time period stated. I didn’t send it altogether the . I didn’t think anymore about it for a few months and said to myself I would build myself up to apply again some time.

I then received a letter in the post inviting me to a telephone consultation, even though I didn’t send in a form?

long story short the consultation was meant to be today but I was having problems with my phone and missed the call etc.

rang the assessment centre up when I finally got my phone sorted and they told me that I will have to re-apply for pip all over again.

Is this normal? I know it’s my own fault but is there anything I can do? As I will lose out on all the backpay since May if I was eligible for PIP.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    jc_3242 said:..rang the assessment centre up when I finally got my phone sorted and they told me that I will have to re-apply for pip all over again.
    The assessment centre are not decision makers, you need to speak to DWP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jc_3242
    Options
    Finally brought myself to have my pip assessment which was on Wednesday gone by. I think you may be right about the vulnerability marker as the assessment centre got in contact with me again. A waiting game now but I know PIP received the report the same day as I received a text message. Thanks for your help and will update with decision. 
  • jc_3242
    Options
    Received a copy of my report and have been recommended 10 points daily living and 0 for mobility with a one year review period. 

I would like to do an MR on this after I receive the decision letter if that’s the same.

Can someone else complete an MR on my behalf? Like a family member? How would they go about it? As I struggle with that stuff due to my conditions. Thanks. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @jc_3242

Thanks for getting back to us with an update, sorry to hear that the assessment report doesn't recommend points that you feel you should get. Firstly, I would suggest waiting for the decision letter as the DM may not necessarily go along with what the report suggests, but if you do want to prepare for a MR you could start by listing two real world examples for each descriptor that showcase why you think you should be awarded certain points. 

In terms of support to carry out the MR and the remainder of your benefit claim, you could have help from a family member or loved one if that would make things easier for you. For example, they could write down what you dictate to them in the forms or support you with putting together what you write about your condition. You can also access professional support through places like Citizens Advice or by entering your postcode into Advice Local, or you could look into the prospect of getting a benefit appointee.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,298 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Anyone can write the MR for you, there's no rules against anyone doing this. However, the best person to do this is yourself because you are the only person that really knows exactly how your conditions affect you.
    You don't need an appointee for this. An appointee should only be needed if you are either severely disabled or mentally incapable of looking after your own benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jc_3242
    Options
    Okay thanks for your help will keep you updated. 
  • jc_3242
    Options
    MR came back same decision so have requested an appeal to tribunal with help by family, that was on 25th May so a waiting game now. I felt I already have included everything including the extra evidence I sent in for MR, is there anything else I should be aware of, or doing? Thanks 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you sought any expert advice to support you with your tribunal @jc_3242? You can use advicelocal.uk to find professional support in your area. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • jc_3242
    Options
    No just my family is helping me. They have been told by a few people that you don’t need representation for a tribunal unless it is a really complex case. Just hoping the tribunal can make more sense than the DWP. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,298 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I will disagree. If you can get representation then go for it because they will represent your case for you, which take away a lot of the stress.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jc_3242
    Options
    I have my tribunal this Thursday so will keep you all updated of the outcome. Waited just over 6 months for a date so hopefully will be worth it. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Best wishes for it @jc_3242 :)

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,560 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • jc_3242
    Options
    Just an update.

Had my tribunal on Thursday and more than happy with the result.

Originally I was awarded standard daily living with 10 points and no mobility for 2.5 years.

At tribunal the judge awarded 3 extra points awarding me enhanced daily living. He also awarded 10 points for mobility so standard for that also.

So I’ve been awarded enhanced daily living and standard mobility for an award length of 5 years instead of 2.5.

I feel like I should have got the extra 2 points for the mobility but I’m happy and don’t want to push it too much. 

Thanks for your help and support. 
  • jc_3242
    Options
    So should be a backdated payment from May 2021 which I’m over the moon with. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    That sounds like good news to me @jc_3242 :) Well done for getting through it! Will you be doing anything to celebrate, or relax and unwind, this weekend? 

And thanks for posting an update- I'm sure others will find comfort and hope from reading about your experience. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.