Confused with esa form — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused with esa form

D1985
D1985 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi,

Can anyone advise on what is best for me to do please?

I have to complete a form for ESA before I have an assessment.

I have been diagnosed over the years with Fibromyalgia, chronic Pain, chronic fatigue,
Lower back problems, vasovagal syncope, hearing loss in both ears and as of today IBS (I don't think it is IBS though!).

I was dismissed from work due to ill health and know I can not manage another job.
The thought of all this process for ESA is effecting my anxiety and depression massively and I don't know what to do or how to complete the form (needs to be back by next Tuesday) I'm so scared that they will not see how ill I am and try and force me into work.

Any help is greatly appreciated x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    Being dismissed from your current job doesn't help a claim for ESA because for this they assess your ability to do any type of work.
    The work capability assessment is not about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to work. When filling out the form you should give a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding information such as where you were, who (if anyone) seen it, what exactly happened and what the consquences were.
    There's no extention of time to return this form so you need to make sure it's returned and received no later than the deadline.
    ESA WRAG descriptors here but if it's New Style ESA you're claiming this is only paid for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group and then it's paid for as long as you remain in that group.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • D1985
    Thank you for your help. I will have a read through of the links.
  • D1985
    Also, I forgot to ask will I need to put on the form that I have been awarded PIP?
  • poppy123456
    You can do that yes but please remember, they are 2 completely different benefits with totally different criteria. Claiming PIP doesn't automatically place you in one of the groups.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • D1985
    Thank you. There is alot of extra information I need to add due to my diagnoses.
    Will they allow my son to type it all as I cannot write it all as of it being too much.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    It doesn't matter who types or writes it. Please remember that it's not about a diagnosis though, it's how those conditions affect your ability to do any type of work.
  • D1985
    Thank you again for your help. I will ask my son if he can type the extra information out for me. Will this need to be noted that he has typed it ?

• poppy123456
    D1985 said:
     Will this need to be noted that he has typed it ?

No, it doesn't matter who does it, as advised.

• D1985
    Ok cheers. Sorry about all the questions.
  • poppy123456
    No worries at all, glad i could help :)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    D1985 said:
    Thank you again for your help. I will ask my son if he can type the extra information out for me. Will this need to be noted that he has typed it ?
    If one of the difficulties you are reporting is to do with use of your hands then it may be relevant to note that you are unable to complete the form yourself and have been helped to have the notes typed up.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jayuk
    jayuk Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    I know how you feel as i am in the process of being dismissed on ill health but only just starting and not sure how long it will take. Im  also filling the esa50 form in and its driving me mad as getting the words right. I have found a good blog for ME/fibro i will post it and might help others too.

• poppy123456
    jayuk said:
    I know how you feel as i am in the process of being dismissed on ill health but only just starting and not sure how long it will take. Im  also filling the esa50 form in and its driving me mad as getting the words right. I have found a good blog for ME/fibro i will post it and might help others too.

There are no right or wrong words to use when filling out the forms. You just need real life examples.
  • jayuk
    jayuk Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    The brain fog gets in the way big time, just feel the stress in mounting up and thinking how am i going to survive if i dont pass assessment.
    Then i get stressed and anxiety kicks in. 
  • poppy123456
    I've never heard of one person that doesn't find the whole process extremely stressful and increased anxiety. Even for those that don't suffer anxiety normally will experience it during this process. I'm one of those and its happens every time i have a work capability assessment and i've had 4 or 5 since 2012.
    If you're not happy with the decision then you challenge it
  • D1985
    That is exactly how I get jayuk and the worries that I have too.

Just in case this helps anyone. If you want to type your additional information, on word if you press the microphone picture and say what you want to be typed it does it for you.
  • D1985
    Hi me again! 
    I managed to send the ESA forms in on time.

Today I received forms to update pip, this needs to be sent back in 3 weeks.

Will I be able to do the same process of dictating for word to type my answers then printing to be attached to forms?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    D1985 said:
    Today I received forms to update pip, this needs to be sent back in 3 weeks.
    If you ring them they will give you an extra couple of weeks.
    D1985 said:
    Will I be able to do the same process of dictating for word to type my answers then printing to be attached to forms?
    Yes.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.