Face Mask rules at GP Surgery - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Face Mask rules at GP Surgery

2»

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited October 2021
    I shouldn't have to, but I feel the need to point out that for some people even 10 minutes in a mask can be intolerable for a number of reasons. I understand the logic of many of the solutions offered, but anxiety isn't something that can always be argued away by logic.
    Over the years I’ve had many clients who couldn’t possibly ever attend an appeal hearing because of their health conditions. Never, ever. I almost never accept this as a rep. If you won’t attend your hearing then the value I add through my representation is reduced in some cases by such an amount so as to make it not worth my while or yours for me to attend. Your non-attendance cannot be redeemed by my attendance. Thus a winnable case which ought to win will instantly transform into a winnable case that likely will be lost. I am fairly forceful and very clear-headed about presenting the above. I make no allowances for anxiety and it’s really interesting what happens when you do that. I have literally had no client ever refuse to attend with me. Not one. 
    Equally, there are those whose anxiety impacts them in ways that mean they couldn't reach out for a rep in the first place, let alone attend a tribunal. I've definitely known many people that fall within this category too. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Sorry if my post was misleading @Username_removed or that you felt it was attacking expertise. That certainly wasn't my intention.

None of my post was really directed at you, nor anyone specifically, although I can see why you may have thought so, given I quoted you later on. It seems I should have found a better way to separate my points and explain myself.

I was initially responding to how the thread had changed from being generally supportive and solution-focused, to something that seemed less so. Beyond that, my intention was to provide a broader understanding of anxiety and expand upon what you've said, not attack it. I was hoping to highlight to others that unfortunately not everyone can just challenge it and push through, as anxiety can impact people in different ways.

I completely understood your point regarding binary choices and challenging them. From my own experience of working through a bad period of anxiety, this is what personally helped me through.

I hope that makes more sense!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi sorry to join in late @Jurph

Could the practice not arrange for the community team to come and take the blood tests at home for your mum as she is unable to attend the surgery due to their policy 

I have in the past had this done at home when I was housebound 
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    janer1967 said:
    Hi sorry to join in late @Jurph

Could the practice not arrange for the community team to come and take the blood tests at home for your mum as she is unable to attend the surgery due to their policy 

I have in the past had this done at home when I was housebound 
    I'll ask! Thank you
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    I really don't want to turn this post in to a debate about whether you should be wearing a mask.

If she could, she would but she can't. Not even "for 10 minutes". You wouldn't ask a wheelchair user to stand up for 10 minutes while they received medical treatment. I don't see how this is different.

I thought I was clear that her medical conditions prevent her wearing a face covering and wasn't simply anxiety related. 

Thanks @Adrian_Scope for your understanding.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    I'm a bit lost off with your GP's practise to be honest. Where a patient has understandable difficulties with wearing a mask, if this is highlighted beforehand, surely a nurse could then use PPE?
    When I've visited my dentist, altho I'm able to wear a mask in going in, this therefore has to be removed prior to examining my mouth/giving treatment, & the dentist & her assistant put on PPE.
    When I had to visit hospital due to an oral concern & then having a biopsy, the same occurred....
  • PENNYB_1971
    PENNYB_1971 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    The same thing happened to me a couple weeks back.  I had to go for bloods done and an ECG and blood pressure.  I have severe Asthma and other health problems  never have problems with the hospital or dentist etc  I have a lanyard which I was recommended by doctors   told doctor on phone can't wear a mask  was told it doesn't matter I don't have to  then receptionist wouldn't let me in surgery  
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Just a thought..... but would she be able to wear a clear plastic face visor, the sort that you wear on your head, but covers your face?

That way she isn't wearing a mask as such, but still has a covering in place.

Brightness