I have epilepsy and type 2 diabetes. I'm in the work group, but feel I should be in support group — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have epilepsy and type 2 diabetes. I'm in the work group, but feel I should be in support group

Boerab61
Boerab61 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
I've been on ESA since 2008 I have Epilepsy I take roughly 2 to 3 tonic clonic seizures a week and I have type 2 diabetes. I don't know if anyone else has this problem with the DWP but I can't get them to put me on the support group I'm on the work group but I can't work and Everytime I ask for a reconsideration they always uphold the decision. I'm on PIP top rate of care bottom rate of mobility. Any help would much appreciated. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you taken any of the decisions to tribunal?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    A PIP awarded doesn't automatically place you into the Support Group, they are 2 completely different benefits. with totally different criteria. Being in the WRAG doesn't mean you're fit for work, they agree you're not. You just need to prepare to work sometime in the future.
    If you think you should be in the Support Group then have you ever gone to Tribunal instead of just stopping after the MR decision? See descriptors here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors
    I'd advise you to get expert advice to see if you qualify for Support Group and if your last MR decision was within the last 13 months then request the Tribunal. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • HJP290
    HJP290 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Hi im having same problem with my boyfriend and he has postical physcosis aswell now caused by the volume pf sezuires

same as you done assement and mandatory reconsideration which changed him from fit for work to wca

but now taking it to appeal now as he isnt safe to be out on own 18 times hospitalised in last 2 years police called find him after jumpin out of windows 

serverly burned self 

nearly choked to death 

affects his short term memory

agressive attacked me and his brother and jumped out his bedroom window had get police out looking for him found 4 hours later attached to a barbwire fence 

but he is fit for work related  activities he cnt even remember take his tablets without us reminding him or any appointments phone calls nvm rest of problems ??‍♀️ 

They dont understand what its like for you living with it or how much people around you have to help 

• Boerab61
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Your right they don't understand I get full PIP but that doesn't matter to them my last ESA interview I mentioned my Epilepsy and the women said you can't tell me anything about epilepsy my son has it and he works you can't win but I'll keep trying. 
  • HJP290
    Well 1 she totally wrong saying that every persons epilepsy condition is different lv 

I have a friend who as epilepsy and works but theres is controlled if you have 3 4 a week it is really controlled ? Do you get a warning before a sezuire ? 

i would log a appeal if you still can get letter from consultants you have seen about it 

my boyfriends did a letter for us stating specific dangers etc and problems he has as he had no warnings and has cluster fits 

i understand if we ever mange to get under control he may beable to do some sort of work but since were 6 years in god knows how many diffrent tablets and nothing has helped doubt it going to be anytime soon . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Boerab61 said:
     Your right they don't understand I get full PIP but that doesn't matter to them
    PIP and ESA are completely different benefits with totally different criteria. Claiming PIP doens't mean you're automatically placed into one of the groups.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Boerab61
    I don't get any warning I take full blown Tonic Clonic seizures roughly 2 a week I'm type 2 diabetic I have arthritis. I'll talk to my consultant next time I see him.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HJP290

Thanks for commenting, I hope the OP has found your experience helpful. 

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your boyfriend, it sounds very difficult and there are some concerning details there which I thank you for disclosing, it must be hard to speak about.

Does he receive any support to manage his mental health? Such as from a GP or mental health support team. Does he have any care in place to manage daily tasks? It might be worth referring him for a needs assessment through your local authority, to see if they can help at all, and I would encourage him to continue accessing his GP if he feels as though his mental health is becoming harder to manage.

It must be hard to watch him go through what he is, but he clearly has a very supportive and loving family behind him. If you ever feel as though he might be a danger to himself or any of your family, please contact the emergency services right away. If he wants to speak with anybody, he can contact Samaritans on 116 123, or the Shout text service by texting "Shout" to 85258. Mind have a page here that contains a number of coping techniques, which you may find useful.

Regarding your benefits, you could seek some professional support and advice by entering your postcode into Advice Local. You could also contact your nearest Welfare Rights or CAB.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • HJP290
    @Ross_Scope

thanks for reply 

The phycosis is caused by the sezuires so is managed by his epilepsy team his gps arnt much use . We got everything in place now if we get this emergency tablet down him after first sezuire keeps the phycosis under control which is my main issue if he doesnt no he has fits when he wakes up hows he ment to no take the tablet ?  . And she also referd us to gettin under bed alarms etc to keep him safer . 

He doesnt cook anymore or eat alone etc 

We do lv minute he starts showing signs of it starting off get the ambulance out . We didnt understand what it was till we were under new team . Even though he had no control over it feel awful but safer for us and him . 

But i wont stop fighting until i get them to see our point whever they think he fits in certain criteria or not common bloody sense sometimes .

I have all video evidence of all diffrent types off sezuires and him during the phycosis and requested all his tablet changes and hospital admissons to back up the appeal so we will just have to see .

In the mandorty reconsideration they ignored the letter from consultant wrote for us literally statiing everything i just said plus more . 

So least i no appeal is independant so hoping for better outcome .  

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    I have epilepsy, and type 2 diabetes (which is quite well controlled by meds), but my epilepsy isn't controlled at all and hasn't been since it started 24 years ago, although the meds make it better than it was at the start, I have around 3 tonic seizures a week, with 4 or 5 absence seizures daily, my post ictal attacks take various forms, usually the loss of the use of an arm or leg or my speech, usually lasting 20-30 minutes but quite scary at the time.

Since i was transferred from IB to ESA i have been in the support group, and since moving from DLA to PIP i just missed out on enhanced daily living (11 points) but was awarded enhanced mobility.
    Always happy to chat or give advice to anyone who would like help.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Annette1356
    Annette1356 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi woodbine, I would recommend you look at the site "Diet Doctors" it is run by doctors and is free for the 1st month and then still free if you don't want to pay for the subscription (£7-8 per month) I pay every 3-4 months because they have new articles on the science of the diets and their effect on various illnesses/diseases. I did some research when I was diagnosed with arthritis and the doctor told me there was nothing they could do for me and just to keep taking pain meds. The diets are either low carbs or keto and I can say from personal experience that they work! My arthritis in my hips has been much improved and my ADHD is far better than it was. The keto diet was originally designed to help children with epilepsy, but as a by product, it also helped with weight, mental problems, thyroid problems, arthritis/skeletal/joints, diabetes etc. so it is definitely worth a look. I find the science fascinating, which is why I occasionally pay the subscription fee, but you don't have to. They do diets to get you into the swing of things, lots of lovely recipes, for easy cooking and budget and you can just put in what you've got in the cupboard to get a recipe and best of all, it's not like a diet, you're encouraged to eat things like butter, cream. bacon and eggs, cheese, fish, meat and lots of veg of course. They also cater for vegetarian and those with allergies. I hope you have a look, you won't regret it and it could help you a lot. :smiley:
  • Taliesen
    Taliesen Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    I'm on pip and now waiting for an assessment with ESA...I have non epileptic attack disorder and have full range of seizures I have a few a day to having a full on seizure attack and have up 24+ one after the other...i live alone and dont always know I've had any...so i feel you on that.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.