Underpayment of lcwra. Can UC use the lump sum to pay off my rent arrears without my permission? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Underpayment of lcwra. Can UC use the lump sum to pay off my rent arrears without my permission?

Shazzron
Shazzron Community member Posts: 21 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi
just asking if anyone will know 
me and my husband are on universal credit and paying rent arrears direct out our universal credit (our universal credit gets paid into my husbands account )
and  today I have been awarded underpayment of  lcwra does anyone know if this underpayment lump sum can be used by universal credit  without my permission 
to pay off my rent arrears or can they not touch this back payment 
any advice would be welcome 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Yes they can use any back pay to clear outstanding debts 

Details of any arrears payment are sent to debt management and they check if there are any outstanding debts to be paid and if so will recover the debt 
  • Shazzron
    So can they use my backpaid lcwra to clear my rent arears
    without my day so 
  • janer1967
    Yes if you think about it logically you owe them money so they will take the debt from any money they owe you 
  • Shazzron
    Hi thanks 
    i only owe money to the landlord not universal credit if that makes a difference 

• Shazzron
    I’m paying off my rent arrears direct from my universal credit each month I’m worried they will pay all my  backpayment of lcwra  to my landlord he a wrong un and don’t trust him one bit 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Shazzron said:
    Hi thanks 
    i only owe money to the landlord not universal credit if that makes a difference 

If that’s the case I can’t see how they can pay all what you owe from your backdated money. Although wouldn’t you rather pay it off and then it’s all done, I know I would. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Why don’t you contact UC or debt management and ask if they can keep the plan in place? 

If that’s not possible, then isn’t it better the lump sum is paid to the landlord, reducing the debt you owe? 
  • janer1967
    If its money owed to your landlord and not dwp I would contact uc and ask 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.