Why have I bypassed uc50 form? How long until a decision? How will I hear about decision? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why have I bypassed uc50 form? How long until a decision? How will I hear about decision?

OurLilli
OurLilli Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Good morning. 
My name is Tracy and I am new to this site. After reading a few posts I would like to say how supportive and helpful everyone is.
Apologies in advance for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated. 
As a joint claim my husband and I have been receiving UC since last year when he was self employed. I have not been able to work for 11years due to ill health but never knew I could claim anything. 
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 18 years ago along with severe health anxiety disorder. 3 years ago I developed severe osteoarthritis in my knees, fingers, wrists, shoulder and now toes. My health anxiety has also been joined by a social anxiety ?. Sadly I had to stop driving in January 2020 due to severe pain and anxiety. 
In February this year my GP advised me to apply for PIP. He gave me a continuous 'unfit for work' note from 8th February until January 2022. He says he will then make it permanent as my condition is progressive. 
So I applied for Pip and was originally given 0pts for both. Given that I need help from my husband to get in /out of bath, wash my hair, dress upper body, help going upstairs and lifted from sofa, I decided to request an MR. Fortunately I was successful and was awarded standard daily living until 2024. 
Then my work coach on UC, removed my work commitments and suggested I may be a candidate for LCWRA. (I didn't even know what it was). She rang them, on my behalf, to request the Uc50. 
8 weeks later I received a letter (not the form) from the health assessment advisory service to say I had a telephone assessment. This took place last Wednesday, lasted 40 mins and I was told a decision would follow. 
My queries are :
1. Does anyone know why I bypassed filling in Uc50 form and skipped straight to telephone assessment? 
2. How long, roughly, in your experiences, does it take to get a decision? 
3. How will I hear of the decision - will it be via post or on my journal? 
4. If successful, will I be backdated anything? 

On top of this my daughter has just moved into University and although so pleased for her, I keep crying and my anxiety levels are through the roof. My Gp has had to up my meds. 

Thank you all for reading (or not ?) my very long post. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    Your work coach referred you for the work capability assessment and you should have received the UC50 form. Although it has been known for some vulnerable people not to receive them but it's rare.
    UC is a digital claim so no letters will come through the post. The decision letter will be uploaded onto your journal. Some have the decision within a couple of days, others wait many weeks, there's not really any timescales.
    If you're found to have LCWRA then the extra money is paid from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you reported your health condition. (providing you sent the fit note within 7 days) This is known as the "waiting period" which is 3 full assessment periods. So when it's paid from depends on when you reported your health condition and the dates of your monthly assessment periods.
    I also note that you're claiming standard daily living PIP, if your partner looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then they can claim the carers element of UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Nobody will know why you didn't get sent the uc50 form as this is the normal start of the process 

There are no fixed timescales for decision they estimate 8 weeks but with delays some are taking 3 months or more 

You will be informed of the decision via a letter uploaded to your journal 

Back pay should be from the 4th month after reporting the medical condition supported by fit notes 
  • OurLilli
    Poppy and Janer.
    Thanks for clarifying and your quick replies.
    Yes I was surprised that I didn't receive the Uc50 but I definitely didn't as my husband would have had to have filled it in for me due to pain in fingers.
    I first reported my medical condition on February 8 2021 along with my fit note the same day.
    My husband works full time from 8-5 so probably not a candidate for carers.
    Sorry but due to brain fog I don't really understand the assessment periods. I know we are paid on the 29th of each month. Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    There's no hours or earnings limit to claiming carers element like there is when claiming Carers Allowance. If they care for you for at least 35 hours per week then they should report the changes onto their journal and this will increase your maxikum UC entitlement by £163.
    As your payment date is 29th of each month, this makes your assessment period (AP) dates from 23rd to 22nd of each month. Which means you reported your health condition in AP dated 23rd Feb - 22 March because it has to be 3 full AP's. If awarded LCWRA then the extra money will start from AP 23rd May - 22nd June, with payment from 29th June, so they will owe you some money.
    If you don't currently have the work allowance and your found to have LCW you will also be entitled to this, which means you or your partner can earn either £515 per month if you don't claim for help with the rent or £293 if you do before the 63% deductions apply. Details here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-work-allowances/universal-credit-work-allowances
    Once the decision's made if you need further advice please post back and i'm sure someone will help you further.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • OurLilli
    Thank you Poppy. Totally understand now and I will look into the carers allowance aspect. 
    Will let you know when decision has been made and get in touch again if I need to. 
    Again thanks for all your help. Take care. 
  • poppy123456
    OurLilli said:
    Thank you Poppy. Totally understand now and I will look into the carers allowance aspect.
    It's not Carers Allowance because there's an earnings limit to this and your partner will not be able to claim it. It's Carers element of UC, which is slightly different and there is no earnings limit like there is with Carers Allowance. Both are explained full here, with the Carers element at the top of the page. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Caring-overview-Universal-Credit

• OurLilli
    Thanks Poppy. Very useful info. 
    I have another question if you can help.
    Throughout my pain from the osteoarthritis I have only been taking Ibuprofen 400mg  as I am allergic to stronger painkillers, especially codeine products.
    However yesterday my doctor prescribed me Naproxen 750mg to take along with the ibuprofen.
    Do I need to report this for my Lcwra application as it was prescribed after my health assessment and if yes, do I ring them or can I make a note on my UC journal? 
  • poppy123456
    OurLilli said:

However yesterday my doctor prescribed me Naproxen 750mg to take along with the ibuprofen.
    Do I need to report this for my Lcwra application as it was prescribed after my health assessment and if yes, do I ring them or can I make a note on my UC journal? 

No, that's not classed as a change of circumstances that needs to be reported.
  • OurLilli
    OK great. Thank you Poppy. 

Just out of curiosity has anyone had a LCWRA payment go into their bank account before decision letter was received?. I am not assuming I will be awarded but this happened to me with Pip. I had a back payment and then 11 days later I got my decision letter. I was wondering if UC did that sometimes too.?
    Thanks in advance 
  • poppy123456
    It doesn't happen that way when claiming UC. You will first receive the decision letter onto your journal. That letter will tell you the decision and vagely say " you may get extra money" because of your disability.
    If the decision is LCWRA then they will need to recalculate the old statements you've received to work out how much they owe you before any money will be paid to you. This can often take a few weeks, although the letter will tell you within 7 working days. Once this is done you'll receive another letter on your journal telling you how much they owe you.
    You may still be owed some money if the decision is just LCW, if you don't already have the work allowance.
  • OurLilli
    Thanks again Poppy.
     I have just received a decision, on my journal, that I have been awarded Lcwra.. How quick it was as I only had telephone assessment a week ago today! ☺️. It states exactly what you wrote above.
    Appreciate all your help and support. 
  • poppy123456
    That's great news. Yes, a decision can sometimes be made very quickly and more so when claiming UC. Some have a decision as soon as the following day after their assessment. My daughter waited a week after hers. Glad i could help :)
  • OurLilli
    Good evening. 

Sorry to bother you again but I have another question. 

So I had my first lcwra payment go in today after receiving award notice yesterday ☺️.

Our UC payment date is usually the 29th of each month but they were holding off September's payment as my husband had an appointment today about going from self employment to employment. As soon as he had attended, our statement for September was updated. Included in it was the £343.63 for lcwra.
    However no backdated payment was included and I think I am owed some as stated in the posts above. 
    Are backdated payments paid separately and will it say 'backdated payments' on the statement?

Any help would be much appreciated. 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    Backdated money is always paid separate to your usual monthly payment, as advised here.
    You won't receive a statement for the money they owe, you will receive a letter telling you how much they owe.

they will need to recalculate the old statements you've received to work out how much they owe you before any money will be paid to you. This can often take a few weeks, although the letter will tell you within 7 working days. Once this is done you'll receive another letter on your journal telling you how much they owe you.

• poppy123456
    If you want to keep your past statements, i'd advise you to take screenshots now because once they are recalculated the new ones will replace them.
  • OurLilli
    That's great. Thank you again. 
    Enjoy your evening. ☺️
  • sarha65
    sarha65 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Hi its been 8 months since my husband sent his uc50 form off and still not heard anything about an assessment does anyone know how long it takes thank you.for any reply 
  • poppy123456
    sarha65 said:
    Hi its been 8 months since my husband sent his uc50 form off and still not heard anything about an assessment does anyone know how long it takes thank you.for any reply 

You've posted on a thread that's 18 months old. There are long delays in some areas. In a previous thread of yours i advised you to contact the health assessment providers, did either yourself or your husband do that? You can see your thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/107073/hi-my-name-is-sarha65-sent-uc50-form-not-had-a-reply#latest

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.