Any ideas on timescales? Is it possible to claim mobility component for mental health issues? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any ideas on timescales? Is it possible to claim mobility component for mental health issues?

Breezy90
Breezy90 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, I have been off work since May 2020 as my stress, anxiety and severe depression no longer allowed me to cope.

my mental health over the last year has really made each day a struggle. I was unaware until very recently that you may be able to claim pip for mental health issues such as I have. 

On September 14th I received a text to state they had received my application. I haven’t heard anything since. Has anyone any idea on timelines?

I have read through a few discussions on here and everyone is extremely helpful and supportive and I could use that right now. 

I also researched that mobility is more or less impossible to get in regards to mental health issues. Has anyone any additional information on this?

As mentioned this is all new to me so I’m just trying to learn as much as I can. 

Thank you 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

New claims are estimated to be taking 10 months to complete with delays for assessments of around 6 months 

It is possible for it to be quicker depends on backlogs in your area 

As you only applied recently you may be waiting a while 

People with mental health issues are awarded mobility element in some cases 

This is more related to planning and undertaking a journey rather than moving around descriptors 

• Breezy90
    Breezy90 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Janer1967 

thanks for your reply, that’s not great news on the timescale front but it is what it is. 

I struggle to talk on the phone or face to face with people I don’t know, so my anxiety and stress levels have been at an all time high from I sent the application in waiting for someone to call, I can relax now though if I know I have time to prepare for all
    of this. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You won't get a call yet the next thing will be an appointment for your assessment 

Due to you saying you can't speak on phone or f2f did you put this in your application and request a paper based assessment 

These are possible but rare you could use the time to try get letter from your gp stating you need a paper based assessment and send this off 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Breezy90 :) 

You should get some warning of your assessment, so try not to worry too much. As the others have said, waiting times can be quite long so you should have plenty of time to prepare, too. If you end up needing a telephone or face to face assessment, you could have someone with you for support. Woud that help?

Did you keep a copy of your application?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.